Brand New Phatmoto AllTerrain No Power! Help

GoldenMotor.com

Dobrodoc

May 28, 2021
I just bought a new Phatmoto all Terrain from Gasbike. Assembled it without issues. But it has no power and won’t even go up a slight incline. Even with hand actuating the engine throttle, it has no power. I called them and they said”watch the clutch video.” I removed the clutch, lubricated it as suggested. No change, barely even pulls the chain at full throttle. Any suggestions? Either the engine is way underpowered or the clutch doesn’t work on a brand new bike? Very frustrated.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Lest start with the basics first. What is your engine's drive gear ratio? What is the total weight (you and the bike)? What % grade hill are you calling a slight incline? To me a slight incline is under a 5% grade.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Dobrodoc

May 28, 2021
Dont know how to figure out the gear ratio. Is it on the website? My wife is 150 lbs, bike is about 50 lbs. the street is probably 3-5 percent incline. Are these not made to go up hills? Thanks

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Count the numer of teeth on the small sprocket and the number of teeth on the large sprocket. By the way I live in the mountains. By eliminating what isn't the problem we can then begin to figure out is the problem. It's always best to start with the simplest issues first.

Dobrodoc

May 28, 2021
Count the numer of teeth on the small sprocket and the number of teeth on the large sprocket. By the way I live in the mountains. By eliminating what isn't the problem we can then begin to figure out is the problem. It's always best to start with the simplest issues first.
Which sprockets? The one on clutch , the one on the Jack shaft, and the one on the back wheel? Thanks

Dobrodoc

May 28, 2021
Properly Maintaining Your Hilliard Clutches - YouTube
Not what I expected. WD40 on the clutch shoes and clutch bell. One wonders if the cast keys sheared.
Tom
I took the clutch apart, cleaned and lubed it per instructions on video. Cast keys were ok. Still no power. Is it possible I am running it with choke on? And engine never gets to fast enough rpm to engage the clutch? some said that the choke On sticker on the air filter is reversed! So disapppointed with this 1200 bike.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Choke is a slim possibility, is there any throttle response at all? Engine not developing enough RPM to engage clutch.
OP, Assembled it without issues. Are you sure? Is throttle cable activating the carb?
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Jerry, have you shopped for a Phatmoto? They are box stock runners. Early ones had transmission problems.
Could be why first run bikes were so cheap. Engine has 3600RPM and 25mph top speed = torque, and Dobro it doesn't make rpm to engage clutch. Sprocket ratio's ain't in the mix.
Tom

Dobrodoc

May 28, 2021
Well, I think I found the problem! The label showing the position of the choke on off was wrong. I was starting it with choke off and put it on after itstarted, so essentially was running it choked! And was never developing full speed! Why would they put a labelon that was backwards.
So now, the throttle does slip and I need to use my left hand to accelerate fully.
Also, the tire bead on the back wheel is not set correctly so it’s extremely bumpy ride.
what a unfortunate lousy product!

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Well, I think I found the problem! The label showing the position of the choke on off was wrong. I was starting it with choke off and put it on after itstarted, so essentially was running it choked! And was never developing full speed! Why would they put a labelon that was backwards.
So now, the throttle does slip and I need to use my left hand to accelerate fully.
Also, the tire bead on the back wheel is not set correctly so it’s extremely bumpy ride.
what a unfortunate lousy product!
Welcome to the wild world of Chinese small engine mechanican. After running it choked, how it started unchoked is a mystery. Actually that it started un choked is a mystery. Either way, get a new spark plug. Double check your throttle cable set up.
Having to disassemble a clutch every two hours running time is bogus. My Bully clutch just works. Bully clutches are about double the cost of a Hilliard. But you get what you paid for in performance. A look at my clutch.
Tom

Attachments

Dobrodoc

May 28, 2021
thanks. Does the spark plug need to be replaced because it ran with the choke on? Thanks

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Now you got the China choke label sorted out Doc. If you have have ever been a motorbicyclist, like shoe drum brakes.
The shoe type centrifugal clutches benefit from a break in. Getting the shoes to conform to the clutch bell.
Likely explains the two hour service interval. Removing clutch shoe dust, maximizing shoe grip.
Clearly there's a broad assumptions by the sellers of phatmoto bikes of what a perfected bike they offer.
Feed back will be appreciated. Got a Grandson could use a low operating cost ride.
Tom

Reactions: Dobrodoc

chad backherms

Mar 16, 2024
im having the same problem with mine the throttle handle will only rotate a half inch its supposed to travel 2 inches before i hooked it up to the engine it would rotate 2 inches now that its hooked up to the bottom it only rotates a half inch im trying to figure out

SirLurksAlot

Aug 20, 2021
im having the same problem with mine the throttle handle will only rotate a half inch its supposed to travel 2 inches before i hooked it up to the engine it would rotate 2 inches now that its hooked up to the bottom it only rotates a half inch im trying to figure out
If you've disabled the governor, that's about right. Check to see if you can open the throttle butterfly any further at the carb, when the twist grip is maxxed.

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry