Blow your holes out!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Rexx Shyt

May 9, 2022
Since I've recently got into repairing and building motorized bicycles, I've noticed the large amount of cylinders with stripped bolt holes both carb and exhaust sides.

To help keep the longevity and maintain a tight solid seal you MUST BLOW OUT YOUR HOLES (and bolt thread cleaning) BEFORE RUNNING ANOTHER BOLT into that hole or you will destroy the threads delicate pattern.

ANY shards or material left in the hole or on the bolt will result in a bad thread and will blow the hole out compromising your seal.

But fear not I have come up with a solution.

For $20 bucks you can go to harbor freight and purchase a tube of alumaloid aluminum brazing rod and you can fill those holes and make those holes almost bulletproof.

Using a drill and a steady hand, drill the holes out slightly larger than their original size making sure to center them with the thread being the center of the drill point.

Next, read and follow the instructions on the brazing rod and fill the holes.

Next, drill the hole out slightly smaller than the thread you are going to use.

Next take an appropriate size thread tap and tap your holes. Making sure to measure and use a template or flange to check your work constantly.

Personally , I use blue painters tape to make a template on the face of my working surface so I know where I am at according to the holes to stay within the lines.

If you mess up don't worry you can do the same process over again.

Now I know some of you are going to say "Well, a jug is cheaper!" .

If you run your motor properly and you do not abuse the cylinder that jug will last you 10 yrs or longer. So you do the math...

Besides using that on any of the case holes that might be stripped as well...

Mnneet- Mnneet- Mnneet ...

Thats all folks!!!

Last edited:

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
The exhaust threads are 6mm If their stripped just tap em to 1/4 x 20
1/4 x 20 is a common way to fix 6mm stripped (pulled) threads in aluminum motorcycle cases
1/4 x 20 is so close ya don't even have to drill the hole first just tap the stripped hole
1/4 x 20 is a courser thread than 6mm x 1.0 and won't pull out as easy

Taping the 6mm hole to 1/4 x 20 is a easier way than using a helicoil or filling with alumeloid
If the 1/4 x 20 pulls out then use a helicoil or fill with alumeloid

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I believe you can drill it out and stick a bolt in and weld it right in, with the alumeliod, as aluminum will not stick to steel. you will be able to turn the bolt right out, and the threads will be there............Curt

Rexx Shyt

May 9, 2022
thats why I love this forum, you guys really are very helpful. And I have just started fine-tuning a nel lusso build for a friend who is going to join this website shortly.

Thanks everybody you rock!

Reactions: fasteddy