Bike stops running after 10-weeks on non-use in the garage

GoldenMotor.com

JoeMetro

May 4, 2014
California
As the title says. The bike will fire, it just kills itself almost immediately.

I had this issue before after garag'ing the bike for some time, I had a new carb lying around so I replaced it and it ran just fine. But this time I don't have a new carb. It is worth noting I'm using very old gas (been in the garage for about 2 years).

I suspect all I have to do is clean the carb out, how does one do this?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I'd open carb & look for gunk inside the bowl & jets, then drain and refill tank with fresh fuel and try again.

JoeMetro

May 4, 2014
California
Will do! I don't really know much about the internals of these carbs but I found a useful youtube video, here's the link if anyone's interested:

Not too interested in spending money on carb-cleaner so hopefully I can get by without it.

JoeMetro

May 4, 2014
California
Thanks! Turns out the piece that was really clogged was the brass nipple that connects the fuel line to the carb. I soaked that with the other brass piece that's in the center of the carb in some isopropyl alcohol, and gave the some good pokes with a safety pin.

I got it running but did something really dumb..I didn't screw the screw that goes into the bottom of the fuel bowl on the carb and it started leaking like crazy. I managed to find the gasket but not the screw.

Does anyone know the specs/dimensions of said screw?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
don't recall the numbers right now, but it is same as screw that locks clutch cable