Bike runs fine but hard to petal when after use

GoldenMotor.com

Tre

Aug 18, 2021
I recently purchased a bike it worked fine until now, it petals fine and starts but once I turn it off and start it again it becomes harder and harder to petal. Could this be because of the heat? Once it cools down/sits it becomes normal how do I prevent this

Tre

Aug 18, 2021
Possibly but I’m unsure how to fix it, if I loosen the flower nut after it becomes hard to petal it petals easier but takes more effort/ petaling to start. After I allow it to cool down while leaving the flower nut loosened it won’t start unless I tighten it

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
When you pull in the clutch lever and disengage the clutch the wheel should spin feely. If that is not happening, I would remove the clutch plate, inspect the clutch pads to make sure they are not loose or anything. It sounds like you have it too tight. Here is a video

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The fact that you say it gets better as it cools down is a good sign!

I would start by checking the cable routing & adjustment... (sometimes new builders put too many bends in the cable to follow the frame curves); I like to have the cable as straight as possible without any sharp bends.

Another thing to do is remove the little spring on the cable end that pushes clutch arm out... (that's not needed & only makes adjusting the cable harder)

Report back if anything changes. :)

Reactions: Tre and Greg58

Tre

Aug 18, 2021
The fact that you say it gets better as it cools down is a good sign!

I would start by checking the cable routing & adjustment... (sometimes new builders put too many bends in the cable to follow the frame curves); I like to have the cable as straight as possible without any sharp bends.

Another thing to do is remove the little spring on the cable end that pushes clutch arm out... (that's not needed & only makes adjusting the cable harder)

Report back if anything changes. :)
I will let you know what happens as you may be able to tell I’m kind of new to this this is my 4th bike 2 we’re stolen and 2 that have this problem I will try and let you know what happens I really appreciate the help thank you