Best setup for Pull start, centrifugal clutch, shift kit bike

Discussion in '2 Stroke Bicycle Engines & Kits' started by ninjaplatypus42, Nov 25, 2016.

1. ninjaplatypus42

ninjaplatypus42 New Member

I'm in the planning phase of a new bike that i want to have the SBP HD shift kit on and a centifugal clutch from bfg-motor on ebay. I want to have a pull start on it as well and it will need a wide crank set. Where is the best place to get a pull start that isn't garbage and what wide crank set would work with a SBP shift kit? Thanks in advance.

2. Agreen

Agreen Member

The pull start isn't much of a gamble any more. If it has a plastic grommet around where the rope passes through, you got a good one. You can save time and get a kit already assembled with both features.

Now, about the wide crank question, I don't really know. I cut and re welded my crank. It is a single piece. There are tons more options for 3 piece cranks though (something worth looking into)

3. ninjaplatypus42

Where can you get an engine with them preinstalled? Are they more expensive than buying the parts seperate? And what is a three piece crank?

4. Agreen

Agreen Member

5. ninjaplatypus42

Do you know of any 66cc engines that have it? I've looked all over and can't find any, just 49cc.

6. Agreen

Agreen Member

I don't. However, don't be afraid of the 48. It's smoother and revs higher than the 66. I did a drag race and top speed challenge on both, and the 48 ran circles around the 66. The 48cc was on a heavier bike with a 330 pound gorilla man riding it, and I (175 lbs) was on the lighter frame with a 66cc engine. It should have been a complete wash, but I got beat badly, and in both areas!

Also, if you're planning on using a shift kit you can open up the full potential of that 48.

7. ninjaplatypus42

With the 48 you run out of power at around 35 no matter how small a gear you have though. I'm going to be using it off road alot as well so I'd rather have the low end torque. I'm pretty mechanically inclined though so installing the parts myself isn't an obstacle. I contacted bikeberry and they said the wide crank wont work with the jackshaft kit. So I'm just going to have to weld something onto something else and hope it works :p

8. ninjaplatypus42

I'll probably just forgo the pull start and just do the centrifugal clutch. The clutch clears normal pedals so i won't have an issue.