Auto shifting.

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by LR Jerry, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Russell

Russell Active Member

That is what got me to build my first 5 speed. That lil bike would climb a wall if it could get traction. High gear was way to much speed for a bicycle(IMHO). 18-22mph is my comfortable cruise speed. I am very uncomfortable over 35, although I have done it many times to keep up with city traffic.

The gearing allows me to climb ANY hill and cruise @ 22 without winding out the engine. If the auto shift works out, all the better!

2. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Active Member

Most of my streets are 25 mph here. Generally I ride 15 to 20 mph. Cruising is the way to go.

3. killercanuck

killercanuck New Member

redacted, carry on.

#23 killercanuck, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  4. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Active Member

That was only one picture there's eleven pictures of the bike in my album.

5. thegnu

thegnu New Member

I love the possibility of a automatic , but in pa if it has an automatic the law can be interpreted as ITS A MOTORCYCLE I feel that area is not well covered , so I will stick to my 8 spd manual an mine will climb just about any hill around here at 5 mph slow ..... but steady .
    Gary

6. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Active Member

In Tennessee its under 50 cc, automatic transmission. No mention of not shifting gears. I've only seen pictures and video of the Auto Bike. But I'm sure if there's a will there's a way. You'll have to replace the axle with a cromolly axle. The freewheel is probably a Falcon you may want to replace it with a Shimano.

7. 16v4nrbrgr

16v4nrbrgr New Member

Mopeds get away with legally having gears because they auto-shift, I don't see why not for bikes as well.

By the way, I hope photoshopping your gut to suck it in was intentionally a joke! LOL