ATTN: ALL BTR Builders (Gravely Model L)

GoldenMotor.com

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
I have found and purchased the Mother load of Gravely Model L finds. I will be spending the week of April 2nd digging out,loading and catologing everything. As of right now there are 13 complete units. 9 turn over, 6 have compression and 2 run. There are 9 incomplete motors I will use as part donors and a couple boxes of misc parts. I believe I should end up with 16 complete motors. These motors will work great for BTR builds. I am not likely to use all of them and will sell spare parts as well as complete engines. I will take and post pics tommorrow, I forgot my camera today. If your not fimilar will these motors they are round bottomed with T heads, and were actually made by Studebaker. I have both 5 and 6.6 hp versions. They are real work horses. Just post any questions you may have. Thanks Rick

Last edited:

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Great score, are you sure about external pushrods? I want one of those motors if it's the "T" head configuration. Any photos? Thanks.
They are all T head configuration, made by Studebaker I,ll be taking pics tommorrow and will post. I was out looking for a part when I stumbled on to them

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Wohoo! I picked up a freebie model L engine today from my neighbor.
It isn't nearly as heavy as I would have thought. 65 lbs as is in the picture. It sure has that old retro motorcycle engine look.

I might try to use this lil 3 speed with reverse Speedex tranny with it.

=_utf-8_B_SU1BRzAzNTUuanBn_=.jpg

=_utf-8_B_SU1BRzAzNTEuanBn_=.jpg

=_utf-8_B_SU1BRzAzNTYuanBn_=.jpg

Last edited:

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
What do you guys think about using two of these for a early v twin harley tribute??? too heavy? it have some torque?

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I think two coupled together in tandem would also look real good. Maybe with a angle drive gearbox or even a shaft drive salvaged from a road bike. Endless possibilities. I may have to find two of these motors just to have the option.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I want to build a retro old single barrel motorcycle out of it. I am going to use a remote mounted chain driven magneto.

These things have a much longer stroke than bore. I have walked miles behind these lil tractors. They don't make much rpm,s but they have gobs of torque. Can't hardly stall one at any rpm.

You could prolly get about 45 mph outta one at about 2000 rpm. Talk about a thumper.

Here's a pic of my inspiration.

349_%2520Anzani,%2520pace%2520bike.jpg

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Double tube the bottom of the cradle, gusset the rear and front tubes to the lower tank tube, gusset head tube to both upper and lower tank tubes. Use 12ga 1.25 tubing. Could look really close to authentic. With 13.2 hp and all that torque hmmmm. Ive got to finish my other builds and mount the pipe bender and english wheel

Last edited:

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
I was looking at some of the pics I took I think a few of these are the LS models those were 7.6 hp and 475cc or 29 cu. inches and chain driven electric start

Last edited:

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Ran the serial # the two runners are the L-S model rated @ 7.6 hp and 29 c.i. I was told the torque on these where unbelievable.couple those with an ole beezer 4 speed gear box. plate to read as follows HOG4DNR

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Ran the serial # the two runners are the L-S model rated @ 7.6 hp and 29 c.i. I was told the torque on these where unbelievable.couple those with an ole beezer 4 speed gear box. plate to read as follows HOG4DNR
So, do you have any info about bore and stroke of these different motors?

I have a small automotive style gearbox From a Speedex tractor that has it's input sheave on the right side and output sprocket on the left. There's a pic of it in my posts just before you posted pics.
They used the engine on tracks so that it was moved fore/aft as a clutch.
With this tranny, I can use the stock fan pully on the crankshaft, to power the tranny. I'll use an idler clutch set-up.

Something else I noticed about the Gravely is that the cams are independent, and can be re-timed to reverse engine rotation, if needed.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Wayne from my understanding stroke is same in all just the bore is different if you give me the serial # off your motor i can tell you exactly what model and year model L was 5hp model L I was 6.6hp and model L S was 7.6 hp if there are no serial numbers itll be a model L and would be 1938 or earlier and should be looked at as a museum piece as there were only 2464 of them made prior to marking them with numbers. 2465 was the 1st # marked in 1939. 2465-95441 are 1939- 1954. M5566 - M 31000 are 55- mid 58 these are all 5 hp. M 31001-2M51800 are 59-66 all number until this are made by studebaker in south bend indiana they also made the Avanti. # J7600 and up are 7.6 hp made between 67 -75 with the cast molds from studebaker but not at studebaker. hope this helps