atombikes' 2007 Whizzer NE5

GoldenMotor.com

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
I bought a similar bike, in about the same condition and I think I paid $385 for mine, so other than color (mine is black), we started at the same point. Like yours, mine had a tank full of old fuel and the carb was so gummed up, the slide was stuck. I got it without title and I didn't care as I planned to part it out and put the motor in another bike. But when I got it home, I cleaned it up, washed and waxed the paint, threw a new carb on it and it fired right up. I was amazed at how quick and easy the bike came back to life.

The heat spacer is absolutely critical in these Whizzers. My bike was missing the spacer, after my first ride I came home and parked the bike and you could hear the fuel in carb boiling! The carb would get so hot it would burn your hand. The bike now has TWO heat spacers and the heat problem is solved.

Oh, and the title thing turned out to be a non-issue. In California it costs $19 for a permanent moped license. I filled out the form, mailed in my $19 and my $385 Whizzer is now a fully registered and legal bike.

You scored my friend, well done!

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
My guess is he 'lost' the key cuz he didn't
really want his wife to sell it. Poor p-whipped
slob. My heart goes out to him.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
It is truly tragic what happened to the previous owner of the Whizzer I now own. The look in his wifes eyes; when she told me that he was suffering from dimentia and could no longer enjoy the bike. She said he had a Whizzer as a young boy and wanted to re-live his youth.

At least he got 79 miles on it.

Anyway, I got the new ignition switch and installed it. Tried to fire it up on Christmas day, but despite my best attempts to clean the carb, it just isn't getting fuel into the carb.

Anyone have any good tips to un-gunk a carb????

RedRider48

Nov 21, 2013
Severna Park, MD
UGH! Hate to hear these types of stories. But, his dream lives on thru you.
Regarding the carbie, did you squirt it good using carb cleaner? perhaps a bath in carb cleaner, if you're sure it's not getting fuel?
Good Luck!

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
UGH! Hate to hear these types of stories. But, his dream lives on thru you.
Regarding the carbie, did you squirt it good using carb cleaner? perhaps a bath in carb cleaner, if you're sure it's not getting fuel?
Good Luck!
Regarding the carb- I doused it/sprayed it with carb cleaner alot. I took the bowl apart, cleaned the floats, etc. but I noticed that the inlet port (where the hose from the fuel tank is connected) is totally clogged. I attached a hose to it and blew hard, nothing can get thru. It appears that port goes down into the carb and then must take a turn, and I can't get anything around the corner to clean it out.

RedRider48

Nov 21, 2013
Severna Park, MD
Hi,
Well, it seems you've certainly given it the "old college try"! Perhaps, soaking in an automotive carb cleaner bath for a while, might do the trick. I've had much success, using my automotive paint gun cleaning brushes, as well. They are perfect for the tiny ports in these carbs. Check with Eastwood Products for the brushes.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
You can soak it in Pine-Sol floor cleaner for a day or two to remove all of the gum and varnish. Dilute it at 1-1 with water. If you want a faster cleaning time use Berrymans Chem Dip or better yet Gunk brand carb dip. Both are sold in a 1 gallon paint can with a dipping basket inside.
Honestly the Pine-Sol works great, smells waaay better. won't eat your skin and plastic carb parts like the others will and it just takes longer to work.
Wear chemical gloves no matter what you use!
All methods require a thorough flushing with water to rinse out all the teeny passages after soaking. Dry with compressed air.
WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!

Last edited:

RedRider48

Nov 21, 2013
Severna Park, MD
You can soak it in Pine-Sol floor cleaner for a day or two to remove all of the gum and varnish. Dilute it at 1-1 with water or go full strength if you feel macho. If you want a faster cleaning time use Berrymans Chem Dip or better yet Gunk brand carb dip. Both are sold in a 1 gallon paint can with a dipping basket inside.
Honestly the Pine-Sol works great, smells waaay better. won't eat your skin and plastic carb parts like the others will and it just takes longer to work.
All methods require a thorough flushing with water to rinse out all the teeny passages after soaking. Dry with compressed air.
WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!
Never heard of the Pine-Sol usage. Yeah, agree it does smell a bunch better!
What makes a great cleaning/dipping basket is an non-working deep fryer. It's all SS and has a basket with a nice lid. When our old unit broke, I moved it to the garage and bought a replacement. I'll hold a gallon of carb cleaner too.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I edited my post to delete full strength usage.
After reviewing my old post/ reference at another motorcycle site, the testimony of another member there indicates that the Pine-Sol formula may have changed. It is stronger than it used to be and dilution is now a must.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
I edited my post to delete full strength usage.
After reviewing my old post/ reference at another motorcycle site, the testimony of another member there indicates that the Pine-Sol formula may have changed. It is stronger than it used to be and dilution is now a must.
Thanks, GearNut. Pine-Sol, what a great idea. Will post back with my results.

Next topic: New Whizzer forks. Is the rebound adjustable? These ones seem kinda soft.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Wow, the Pine-Sol did the trick. Got a small bottle for $1.89; soaked the carb in full strength pine sol for only 2 hrs; everything is clean now.

Just have to figure out how to get the float mechanism back together (it fell apart during the soak) and get the carb back on the bike.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
I don't suppose this would work on a diaphragm carb?
probly not,huh. Oh well, I've got the kit.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
:-||EH... it's got a lotta miles; guess I'll just rebuild it.
What a hassle, but skin flint that I am, I hate to cough
up the dough for a new carb.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Well. It looks like you're making progress there, atombikes.

I'm happy for you. Though I'm also sad for the poor old guy who had to give it up.

'Cause it's hard to beat a Whizzer for style. Fine, fine looking machines.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Pine Sol is safe for use on rubber and plastic.
It is not a petroleum based cleaner, the likes of which ( Berrymans or Gunk) can damage rubber and plastic.
My only concern for a diaphragm carb, or a carb with a diaphragm slide for that matter, would be that the diaphragms do wear out with time and are prone to pinholes.

Last edited: