GoldenMotor.com

NjRider

Jul 20, 2017
In NJ they consider motorized bicycles mopeds that requires registration and insurance. I called the NJMVC twice and got 2 different answers. The first was that i have to register it as a moped and I was quickly rushed off the phone. So after an hour or two of research on how to register a bicycle as a moped I got no where so I called back again, I got a different person and he said that it needs to be registered as a "Reconstructed vehicle" befor being rushed off the phone again. I want to know if anybody in NJ has had problems with the police and/or getting fined? Im thinking if i just keep it under 20 and stay in the shoulder i will be fine but i am nervous about riding here.

NjRider

Jul 20, 2017
Ok so I just got off the phone again with them I was told that because it is a bicycle bouggt from the store there is no certificate of origin so it cannot be titled she said that it is considered to be a bicycle. I am so happy to hear that makes me feel much better about riding here in nj

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome to the clubhouse!

I carry a copy of the Oklahoma law pertaining to motorized bicycles. I've never been stopped or hassled, but you should be prepared.

Best of luck in your adventures!

NjRider

Jul 20, 2017
Thank you.. I was thinking of going to have them print me out somthing official declaring my bicycle a bicycle. I cant really find anything clear cut in nj law saying its ok or not but the dmv told me that what i am riding is a bicycle even with a 49cc motor attached she said it is still a bicycle and can not be titled. But I know at some poin a cop will notice and question me about it and hopfully it will end there