Anybody built one of these?

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I bought a set of motor mounts from KW machine for my 6. They're a lot nicer in person than they looked like in pictures. I thought they looked bulky, but in person they're very petite, but at the same time robust.

I also bought a MM front mount from BikeBerry that would fit the Felt frame, but I would have had to figure out how to make it offset. Even though the MM stuff is always top notch, the KW Machine mount is a lot nicer, even without considering the offset.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
So what do we think is the best way to get a front brake on one of these. The stock wheel has 12g spokes.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I have a XL-FD drum brake. Of course it's for 14g. I was thinking maybe I could drill out the spoke holes in it to accept 12g spokes, but it's bigger diameter than the stock hub, so the stock spokes will be too long.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
MotorBicycleRacing

I may have a dumb question as this is the first time seeing your #6 bike in this thread.

I like the neat way the motor looks with the piston and cyclinder pointing forward. Did you change the engine rotation? If not, that is how they mount the motors for inframe friction drive, which has to run backwards.

Because I don`t like the way the motors look with the cyclinder pointing to the rear, am now thinking of a 8 hp flat head B&S off a belt drive pressure washer that has been sitting in my shed for about 8 yrs for my stretch cruiser build. Recently bought a go kart cvt for it but will use the parts acquired for my original plan of manual belt clutch to keep it narrower and motor centered.

Ron

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I had the same hub on the front of my 1903 and the flange is a perfect match for the Sturmey Archer X-FD drum brake hub: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sturmey-Arc...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564d70bce5
Thank's Harold, a X-FD actually would be totally acceptable to me, especially considering I could keep my stock Red rim, and black spokes.

And perfect timing to. My credit card just went cool again since it's a new month lol.
Man that was fast. My X-FD arrived today. A quick measurement confirms this hub is exactly the same size as my stock Felt hub. Thanks again Harold.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Glad that will work for you. By the way, anytime you have an issue with your credit card getting too cold feel free to get in touch. I seem to have a gift for keeping mine glowing a nice amber it is so warm! I do wish my 1903 came with the 24" wheels like on the Deep 6. Felt offers a tire for the 24" wheel that isn't available in the 26" being the Berm Master (think that's correct). I've already changed out the cream tires for black Continentals but the knobby fat Felts look really cool. Can't say it enough, I really like that deep red paint job and the lines of the bike.

webeneo1

Apr 17, 2012
Denver
"So what do we think is the best way to get a front brake on one of these. The stock wheel has 12g spokes."

FYI the SA 90mm fits using stock spokes.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
"So what do we think is the best way to get a front brake on one of these. The stock wheel has 12g spokes."

SA? I'm not familiar with that one. Could you please point one out to me?

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
The hub you started with is 90mm. The 70mm is a drop in (if a person knows how to lace a wheel anyway). I was mistaken on the Berm Master tire. It is available in a 26" just not the 3.0" width.

webeneo1

Apr 17, 2012
Denver
The XL-FD (90mm) will lace 4 cross no problem when replacing the Felt 70mm hub.
Spokes are near top of nipple but work fine.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

The hub you started with is 90mm. The 70mm is a drop in (if a person knows how to lace a wheel anyway). I was mistaken on the Berm Master tire. It is available in a 26" just not the 3.0" width.
Ok I got it. I think we're all talking about the same hub. The X-FD has a 90 mm flange, but it's a 70 mm drum brake.

Looking at the stock hub, and the X-FD you can't help but think they're both made by the same company, because they look so much alike.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Yup, I think you hit it there biknut. Have you compared the spoke through hole size on the flanges of the three hubs? I looked at several eBay listings for the XL-FD and couldn't find the spoke size but on a few of the X-FD the sizes were listed as 13-14. The LBS that rebuilt my wheel had no issues and the spokes are not stressed at the hub as far as I can tell. I had tried to do the job myself but simply made a mess of it. Still, didn't scuff the black spokes on the through holes. Seems like you could either go with the new hub or return it. The X-FD is sufficient for stopping my bike and with the linkage fork, lights, saddlebags, full fenders, and my girth it weighs a lot. A more heavy duty brake can't hurt though.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yup, I think you hit it there biknut. Have you compared the spoke through hole size on the flanges of the three hubs? I looked at several eBay listings for the XL-FD and couldn't find the spoke size but on a few of the X-FD the sizes were listed as 13-14. The LBS that rebuilt my wheel had no issues and the spokes are not stressed at the hub as far as I can tell. I had tried to do the job myself but simply made a mess of it. Still, didn't scuff the black spokes on the through holes. Seems like you could either go with the new hub or return it. The X-FD is sufficient for stopping my bike and with the linkage fork, lights, saddlebags, full fenders, and my girth it weighs a lot. A more heavy duty brake can't hurt though.
Both the X-FD, and the XL-FD say they're for 13-14g spokes. Unfortunately lacing wheels is a skill I don't have either, but my local REI can handle it for me. I'll probably take the wheel, and hub over there next week. I'm finally getting the hots to build this bike after waiting all summer.

I'm sure the XL-FD won't fit the stock wheel. It's hub flange is way bigger than the X-FD. I have no problem using the X-FD, any brake is better than no brake lol. I'll save the XL-FD for the future. When I bought it, I bought two of them. One is on my other bike now, laced to a Rhyno lite rim.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think the biggest challenge to building this bike is sealing the frame. I've never done anything like that before. I've read about doing it, and watched the videos. It sounds easy doesn't it? I think later today I'll go to Harbor Slave and buy a bore scope so I can look at what I'm sealing. I'm gonna to get the one that records. I think I'm make a youtube about doing this.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I see. Just thinking that would be the easiest place to insert the scope. That will be a pretty major commitment when you lay a drill bit and hole saw to the top tube!