Any way to add a front brake to a huffy cruiser with no mounting tabs?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by TheNecromancer13, Jan 23, 2017.

1. TheNecromancer13

I recently had a guy come up to me and ask if I could take a look at his bike and see what's wrong with it. Turned out to be a really easy fix, took me all of 5 minutes, but I noticed that the bike has nothing but a rear coaster brake on it. Any easy way to add some sort of front brake without replacing the fork?

2. ultralight01

ultralight01 New Member

Does it have a disc hub?
    Probably not.

If you want to add a v brake to the front, use this plate:
    https://www.danscomp.com/products/4...9LrCgBfYDemKHHlg3XxyjaIzwIdW3rcqk2RoCuTvw_wcB

Is will definitely help as long as the brake you choose is quality. You will have to find a way to mount that to the fork like this picture:
    http://s292.photobucket.com/user/AronDChaudiere/media/Polo Bike/IMG_5323.jpg.html
    Some kind of clamp, weld, or small bolts would do this.

I saw your ad on CGL by the way. Good idea.

3. scratchbuilder

That's a nice, what I call 'horseshoe' for adding reliable v brakes. But if you don't or can't spend the 25$plus...get a cheap-o mt. bike fork and hacksaw the horseshoe and it will bolt on like a caliber brake unit and the cut tabs will keep it from moving.

4. ZipTie

ZipTie Member

5. TheNecromancer13

Also does anyone know what rear hub the huffy cranbrook uses? Or at least what diameter the hub is so I can get a decent sprocket adapter for this guy.

6. KCvale

KCvale Active Member

I call 'em C-brakes. One mount hole is there front and rear for any fenders.
    V brakes on the other hand mount to posts on the frame or fork and much better.

But, anything is better than just a coaster brake, ESPECIALLY on a frig'n Huffy coaster!

I don't build anything with just one brake and occasionally put front and rear C's on coaster brake bikes, even good ones like the Micargi Touch.

[​IMG]

The trick is to attach both C's to a single dual-pull lever on the right so you don't interfere with the clutch lever.

3 brakes and you stop pretty good ;-}