another thought from the bedroom

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Paintin' started by trackfodder, Jan 15, 2017.

1. trackfodder

trackfodder Member

williamsk1936@yahoo.comMember
    Again reaching for sleep I thought of a way to use a 3 speed rear wheel tranny and be able to peddle. I have an Alanax treadle powered bicycle that has a rear hub with a free-wheeling sprocket on each side. If I spoke it to a 2-1/4 X 26" rim, I can put an engine final sprocket on the left and the peddle chain on the right sprocket. Then a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed tranny as a jackshaft mounted in a yoke fastened to the seat tube with one spoke flange machined off to allow pop-riveting a motor pulley to the backside of the opposite flange. Consider, the hub is driven by the pulley and therefore the sprocket is driving on the left side I already have one that is set up like that but it drives a 2nd jackshaft and there are no peddles to keep it legal. The rear brake would be rim clincher. This system requires a rope starter. I have a choice of a 4 HP lawnboy 2-stroke or a 5-1/2 HP HFT 4-stroke..shft.

2. Kioshk

Kioshk Active Member

3. ultralight01

ultralight01 New Member

That. Was an awesome response.

4. KCvale

KCvale Active Member

hehehe, ya, thats what they are designed for hehehe ;-}

So you are going to put a pull start on it now?
    Good thing as there would be way to start it, but parts for that today are crap.

My eyes glazed over trying to follow the rest, sounds more like a nightmare than a dream to me ;-}

Save