Another tale of fender failure

Discussion in 'Motor Bicycle Safety And Stolen Motorized Bicycle ' started by Dan, Aug 8, 2009.

1. happycheapskate

happycheapskate New Member

I've had several Wahl racks and rack/basket combos, and will testify that Wald does not skimp on metal or chroming! They are made of STEEL.

Thanks for the link, but its broken.
    http://www.niagaracycle.com/advance...ender&osCsid=fd6a22d0a7488d3d90bbb5ce0ded77ce
    If that doesn't work, go to Niagaracycle.com and Search: for " Wald Fender"

They look heavier than most, and it says "balloon/ 2.35" tire", but I'm still scared of fenders since I joined this board.

Is it possible that some of these wrecks are caused by some road debris sticking between the tire and fender, breaking the mount?

Why do most of these fenders have 1 little puny tab attached to the brake bolt, instead of at least a heavy bracket that goes up both sides of the fork steerer?

I refuse to use any fender except something that can't jam on the wheel.

In rainy weather I ziptie a 6" wide piece of corrugated plastic (painted garage sale sign) to the downtube and call it good enough. I hate riding it in the rain anyway.

#41 happycheapskate, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. corgi1

corgi1 New Member

how are you doing now Dan
    Cut the loop over brace in the center and mount in rubber gromets on the sides,2 thick plate washers and a good bolt and 2 nuts in rubber gromet at the L braket,,bolt from the bottom through the gromet ,nut,washer,L braket,washer,top nut that locks the L braket and eliminates the weak point at the hole in the L braket,,,cutting the loop over brace and moumting each side in a rubber gromet allows it to break away if it does get loose instead of continueing to tighten on the wheel from forward rotation,

Dan likes this.
  3. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

Yeppers HappyCS, rain just ain't fun. I really gotta try the wald's

Howdy Corgi, great thanks!

I went midevil, over kill. Used ubolts and steel straps. The straps bow out from the bike and look like fenders. Would stop the fender and look like I tried to replicate some sort of old English bike. Was an accident. I mis-measured, lol

http://motorbicycling.com/f11/fender-fortification-fun-23421.html

4. corgi1

corgi1 New Member

looks like those will stay on there,lol

5. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

I forgot how good it is to have fenders. The other day it had rained and the roads were still just wet enough to be a drag to ride on. Looked out and thought "naw. ride tomorrow" Then realized I had fenders and had a great ride.
    Oh man corgi, I think it was you and I talking about springer forks. Really do make a world of difference. Really nice! Took me a good long while to figure out how to keep enders with em. Like most things, The simple answer seemed to work best.

.wee.

6. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

Pablo likes this.