Another Chopper Build

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It's been so cold here since Christmas I don't even feel like working in my garage.
I'm trying to feel some sympathy for you...
Tonight is to be 17 below zero. Tomorrow night 20 below. I understand that -35 is a few days away. I'm not doing any bike work, either. So, this is the time to do some bike dreaming. It helps when I can follow along on what others are doing, like looking over Tom's shoulder.

Dan, I truly miss our Saturdays in the Tinsmith's shop this winter. It would be such a treat tomorrow to fire up your wood stove out in the shop, tinker on your chopper and do some appreciative staring at it, trying to understand what it wants... having the dogs come for a visit and a nice lunch with your good wife, Jackie, sharing food, stories and friendship. When you do get to working on that chopper and the wood is burning in the stove, I'll be there in spirit my friend. Hey to Jackie & the boys. Moosh says hi & I'm wagging my tail.
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My progress has certainly slowed because of the cold. We got our utility bill a few days ago :( Highest we've ever had; $450. and that was the billing cycle before the coldest temps we've had the last couple of weeks.

Char said, "We've GOT to cut down on gas and electric." I Agreed but it's the two things I need to keep the garage/shop tolerable. So, It's either bundle up in arctic gear to work on the bike, or stay out of the garage until things warm up a little. I hate trying to work with a jacket and gloves on so I'm backing off for a while.

Global Warming my arse!

Tom

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
I know how ya feel on the cold garage thing. My garage is not heated so I brought the bike in the dining room to install my throttle the other day. The wife was not so thrilled but oh well.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Global Warming kicked in the last two days so I got some work done. The big brown truck came and brought my fuel tank. I added up what I'd spent on that foam and fiberglass tank I built for the other chopper and decided that I'd be time and money ahead to just buy a ready made steel tank.

I'm very pleased with the quality and construction of this tank. It came packed in styrofoam peanuts and was wrapped in a plastic bag and had an oily coating to keep the rust away. The tunnel is exactly 2" wide so I had to pinch the top tube about 1/8" to get it to lay where I wanted it. I'll make some custom mounts from the frame to mate with those already welded to the tank.

This thing is so smooth it's almost ready for paint, as is. I'll shoot a few coats of primer just to even things out then the black base coat. I'm still waiting on the gold metalflake clear that a friend is mixing for me.

Also got the rear engine mount made and welded on. I haven't been posting much construction so far because much of it would be duplicating what I did on Captain America.
I went by Dax's yesterday and picked up the engine and a few parts and pieces I'll need so I'm well on my way. As long as the warm weather holds out I'll get some work done.

Tom

Attachments

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm starting to see what you're going for now. That's going to real nice, as usual Tom.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Fabricated the fuel tank mounts and welded them on. I raised the tank from where it was in the original photos so the lines would flow with the frame better. Now it looks right to me. I have the rear engine mount done and I'm engineering on the front mount. I have several ideas in mind. I'll post some pictures of what I decide to do.

The seat is supposed to go to the upholstery man next week but remembering what happened with the last one I'm trying to prepare myself for delays.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks Silverbear and others.

This is going to be a good riding bike. I was satisfied with the Easy Rider chopper but I want this one to be even more user friendly. I've ridden it as a pedal bike around the neighborhood and it feels right. It sits good and rides great.
With any luck I'll be able to test it with engine power in the next week or so. I'm going to experiment with some exhaust ideas that I have and hopefully have the seat upholstered soon. I need quite a few small bits and pieces and they'll come soon enough.
I'll post any updates.

Tom

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Tom, just got back from visiting Grandbaby for a week in sunny Fla. and getting caught up on the important stuff like this build. If and when I get back after my chopper I think I'm gonna try to fab up another tank. There sure have been alot of fine ideas come up on this forum over the past couple years that'll serve as inspiration for my chopper. Keep at it!

SB, yep it would be nice to be back at it in the shop. I did get the stove pipe back up last month before it got cold, and I have a good little stack of wood ready to go. I will at least get some good time out there in the coming weeks to sit and ponder following this procedure on the hand, so by the time I'm healed up I should be ready to put the ideas to work. Heck, I might just get used to not going to work and pack it in, ya never know.

Dan

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Did some preliminary exhaust pipe work today. Like always I'm using 3/4" EMT and did a very simple but clean run from the header back. Unlike the other chopper, this one will have the pipe on the left.

In MyBike's thread, 'Made My Own Exhaust' http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=44220 I'm going to try to build a straight-through glass pack style similar to his. I'm going to use a chrome automotive exhaust extension as the outer case and experiment with some baffle designs I've been playing with. I'll post some photos of how I'm thinking/hoping, this will work.

I also got the front engine mount done. It's a much simpler design that the one on Captain America and it should work just fine.

More to come.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Tom,
Technically i don't know anything about artistic design beyond what appeals to my eye, but I'd say you have a good sense of proportion and what I would call the 'flow of lines'. Your bike is emerging into something beautiful, like rolling sculpture, mechanical art... something like that. I don't know the right words, but I know what looks especially good.
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wow, Silver, I'm touched. Thank you. As you're well aware one secret to getting things to "flow" is to get your project a distance away from you so you can get an idea, a better idea, of how it's coming together. Stay too close and you don't see the lines and proportions that you'll get from a distance. 20 to 30 feet is about where I like to get back and then sit and stare at the thing. Always helps me.
Thanks again.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I could have put this part in the 'Intake & Exhaust' section but because it's part of this build I'll keep everything together here.

As I mentioned above I'm experimenting with a glass pack style of muffler similar to what MyBike built. See link above.

I cut slots in the 3/4" pipe spaced 1/2" apart, four rows down the length of the proposed muffler area. I then bent the slots inward so they resemble louvers facing into or scooping at the exhaust flow. My thinking is that they will disrupt and slow down the exhaust pulse and direct them outward into the fiberglass wrap inside the larger outer pipe, yet to be installed.

I'd welcome any input on this concept but keep in mind I'm not going for top performance/speed. If I wanted that I'd go with a expansion chamber style but those don't fit with the look I'm trying to achieve on this bike. I'm trying for a deeper exhaust note with enough back pressure and I think I'm on the right track. Nevertheless I'll happily listen to whatever you guys have to say.

Oh, and my concept is copied from a cut-away photograph of glasspack automotive muffler. It had identical slots/louvers in the inside pipe to what I've done. Yes, it was meant for four stroke car engines but it might function on a 2 stroke too. Time will tell.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Looking great overall! The tanks cool, and you mentioned after the cost of foam/glass/time it worked out about the same eh? Saves some farting around then, for sure.

The inner pipe is looking good, was thinking though. You could take a chisel punch to flatten the "down" louvers more, instead of prying on them. That'd draw more flow through the pack for a deeper note eh?

I had a thought before about doing the back 30-40% of louvers the opposite direction to help flow for 'thumpers. But dunno if that would help or hinder on a smoker, something to ponder anyway.

Btw, have you thought of a propane tank heater for the shop? like this dual head, or they make single head versions too. Harbor Freight would have them I'd think. Even the single head on $15 of propane does a good job, and you can tell the wife you need to "cycle the old propane" out of the bbq tanks, :p

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Greg, Sorry, no gas grill. I'd have to burn charcoal in my garage and that probably wouldn't be a good idea. It would smell good but...........:) Actually we've gotten a break from the arctic blasts. It's been warmer, I've even had the garage door open a few hours the last few days.

This pipe is an experiment. The neat thing is that I can bolt it up to Captain America for tests before I commit to any set design and before this bike is ready to run.

I'll keep you posted.

Tom