American Deluxe hybrid trike

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Engine cradle is just sitting there. Aluminum angle will anchor it to the floor. Lot's to do over the course of the winter, but this is a milestone having a rolling chassis with three wheels. Now it can get hauled back to the apartment in town to be worked on a bit at a time. Next in line is checking out the electrics and making that front wheel spin around.
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hi Annie,
I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling poorly. Better days will come. I think it is important especially when we have become elders to be respectful both of the wish to do and make and be active and also to pay attention to the need to wait and rest and heal. It is sometimes a delicate balance, I think. I wish you all good things, my friend. And I'm looking forward to your trike progress reports, with photos of course.

It does feel good to see some real progress on the trike and to know that more will come in bits and dribbles through the course of a long, cold and dark winter in the north country. First dump of snow usually arrives around the 8th or ninth of October, but for now we have what is called "Indian Summer", warmish days which feel like a gift from mother nature. It is a sin of sorts to not revel and luxuriate in such gifts, so I go about with a smile tinkering as I can and working in a few bike rides with Aaniimoosh.

As the trike comes together I can better visualize other things which now come into sharper focus and which will be the subject of much creative staring, working out the what and how of things. Where to put the batteries? 36V or 48V? Should the controller go on the bottom side of the banana seat or vertically on the seat post? How can I run the pedal chain so the chain doesn't run into anything between the crank and axle? How can I alter the original hardware for engaging/disengaging the dog clutch? You will notice two sprockets on the axle, one on each side of the differential. One will be for powering the rear wheels and the other will be used as a disc brake rotor for stopping this heavy machine. I don't know yet which will be which as it is beyond me to figure out the gearing since there are a number of sprockets and short chains under the cover on the left side of the engine housing. I do recall that in it's life as a reel mower it would move along smartly at higher throttle. I'm guessing the smaller of the two final drive sprockets will be about right with an anticipated top speed of 25mph or so, not that I intend to go that fast. With the engine at mid rpms it would be nice to cruise at 15mph or so. I have a couple more sprockets to fit in case I need to go smaller yet. Once the goldilocks sprocket is found (the one that's just right) then the rotor can be chosen and a suitable mount fabricated for the caliper. I found a source for one which accepts a sprocket thickness (1/4") rotor, so it seems natural enough to use the differential to hold the rotor and also gives one less thing to buy. This is the fun stuff on a build, figuring things out and seeing them actually work.

A day will come when I take this trike out for a first ride. Winter will have come and gone and I'll have had another birthday, #71, which sounds really old but isn't so bad really. I never guessed I'd be having this kind of fun as a geezer. Beats sitting in a rocking chair watching game shows or soap operas on a television (I'd as soon be dead). This is going to be one heck of a mobility scooter!
SB

Last edited:

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Anne,
My good wishes are with you!

Now, you will have good Spring and then nice Summer - so a lot of good days should be there for work and pleasure! So much projects in plan and so much collected components - nice way to spent your pensioner times!

Silver,
Very true and wise words about our second childhood (never wanted new youth):
Better days will come. I think it is important especially when we have become elders to be respectful both of the wish to do and make and be active and also to pay attention to the need to wait and rest and heal. It is sometimes a delicate balance, I think.

It seems to me that our lives are going up-down (in periods of years, months, weeks, days, even in hours...) – always, just we now have wisdom to accept that?
--- ---
Strange – when I once mentioned term “Indian Summer” (known in Serbia, too) to my internet friend from USA - great Indian Chief Redelk – he didn't knew for it? Probably only white people used it – for Indians nice Autumn had different importance and meaning... In Belgrade I adored such weather and it wasn't rare, even in October! Here we have it too, only Summer and Winter are less extreme – in this part of Swiss in spite that we live at 550 meters ~ 1800 feet above sea level...
--- ---
Silver,
I am glad that your cute project got (almost) final shape! I remember such nice feeling from a few of my projects! Only, I remember that after that we had a lot of work on details and fine tuning of everything – almost another ½ of job has to be done...
Good luck, with a lot of joy and pleasure, even during cold and long Winter – good time for plans and dreams!
Ciao,
Zoran

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Zoran,
Thanks for the kind words. Was just thinking how wonderful this internet can be when it is possible to send words electronically to friends in foreign lands many thousands of miles away. Pretty amazing...
Regarding Indian Summer, I think it is like anything else. Some Indians are familiar with the term and some are not, I suppose. Any way you look at it, nice autumn days are to be savored all the more for how each won could be the last.

I have hauled the trike to the apartment in town, but discover it will not fit through the door as is. I have it locked up to a railing or overnight, so it is secure, but I'll have to remove the rear wheels in the morning to finagle it through the doorway and then do the same next spring when the snow is gone and it is time for the first ride. Oh boy...
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Over a year ago I purchased a freewheel adapter from Stanton which is designed to mount a Shimano type freewheel sprocket to a trike axle. This one is for a 5/8” shaft and cost around $17.00 if I remember correctly. Ouch. I watched for a suitable donor at the landfill for the sprocket part of the equation without luck and finally purchased the one in the photos below on ebay for around 10.00 shipped from China. It is made to replace a Shimano sprocket assembly. The adapter screws into the freewheel and now I’m all set to mount it on the axle. I’ll need to cut a slot for inserting a key so that it is locked to the axle which I intend to do with a rotary tool cut off wheel and a lot of patience. I figure I will use the largest sprocket to receive the pedal chain. This will help make the trike more legal and give a means of pedaling it around which I have no intention of doing. It will permit me to ghost pedal on a bike trail under electric power for sneaky stealth maneuvers.
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Pictured below is the trike outside my apartment in town. The rail beneath the front windows gives a nice spot to secure the trike with a lock and chain. I tried several different headlights held in place and it took several cups of coffee and a lot of staring to figure a way to mount the one I chose which was made for a moped and is still available new. This type of lamp is designed to fit between the ears of a suspension moped or light motorcycle fork. The montain bike fork I'm using has no such ears so another means of mounting is needed. The mounting straps pictured are hardware items made for copper water pipe and with a bit of shimming at the clamps (harness leather) they hold the light securely. The straps are long enough to give lots of options. Once I chose the right mounting holes I bored them out to size and later cut off the excess (not pictured) with a rotary cut off wheel. I like it.
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks Anne.
I intend to keep plunking away at this build ow that leaves have fallen in my part of the world and temperatures are dropping enough for a few snow showers and frost on the ground in the morning. And I am reminded that as fall progresses into winter here or you it is spring trying to become summer. With the warmer weather I hope your health blossoms along with spring flowers and you feel well enough to work on your etrike.
SB

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hello Silver![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Excellent and cute solution for your problem with head-light!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]For my present pedal-powered quadricycle, [/FONT]I used a lot of components made for fixing of plumbing or hot-water heating - but didn't see so nice made of copper, or messing or bronze. Have to look next time a little more, for improvement on it, or maybe for my next project, if ever started...[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ciao,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Zoran
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]P.S.: Keep well Anne - Spring is there in NZ and we in CH are on our way to Winter...
[/FONT]