Aloha

GoldenMotor.com

Jackelope84

Aug 7, 2019
Hi there, I'm glad to be here.

I picked up a mid 50s Schwinn girls cruiser for 20 bucks.

I'm gonna give her a sex change, then fit a 49cc Chinese 2-stroke motor into it. Fitting a 17" Honda rear wheel in the back. Should be a fun lil clunker to run about the neighborhood with.

I'm here to get inspired, see what ya'll are doing. So far, I've loved what I've seen :)

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Welcome aboard! That is going to be a KOOL build, seen where some guys take the top tube and fit it were the bottom tube is for more room, and drop, but you should have plenty of room. Maybe put a curve in the top tube some, like the old Schwinn's had........Curt

Reactions: indian22

Jackelope84

Aug 7, 2019
Yes, it's a pocket bike engine.

I've cut out a new top bar already , I plan on fillet brass brazing the joints together.

I was thinking of using a thumb throttle, so I could retain the o.e handlebar grips.

image uploader

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
That's the same motor I'm putting in my Schwinn and yeah, they came in some of the pocket bikes and also mini quads, which is where mine started. They were originally designed as tool motors for leaf blowers and the like.

Here's a "hopped up" version that I recently got for doing some welding.

DSCF0809[1].JPG

Jackelope84

Aug 7, 2019
FOG,

I checked out and dig how you're doing your Schwinn, very nice.

I had this motor laying around, I'd bought it for a mini bike project that never happened.

I'd bought the Schwinn, I wanted to give the old girl a sex change. Then I saw the forgotten pocket bike motor sitting in a milk crate. I've been looking at motorized bikes lately, so why not combine the two?

Last edited:

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
I did the same thing. The mini-quad got left out in the rain to rot and the while the Schwinn was fine for a slow pedal on flat ground it was basically useless as general transportation. I still pedal for exercise and I need gears!

Here's a look inside the hopped motor which is a 2 piece jug instead of the standard one piece. It's got an extra port milled in up the back of the cylinder.

DSCF0787.JPG

Lotsa hop up parts for them and from what I hear they get the compression so wound up on the pocket bikes they gotta hold them down to pull the rope.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
FOG the third port should open up this engine with case inducted design.& having a removable head allows adjustment of compression & ease of routine maintenance. After market parts is a huge plus as well along with being legal in more states.

The jug castings appear better than on typical China girl cylinders, but probably vary by manufacturer. All in all the pit bike motor appears a good option & I'm surprised they aren't used on more bike builds.

Rick C.