After market car ignition coil

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If I were to venture a guess and it is just that, I would thing it probably wouldn't hurt the magneto but then again I am not an expert on anything, the reason I say that is because the magneto is just a pickup I think. But dear god don't trust what I say. I'm just guessing

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
But in theory would produce a better spark.....again im no small engine mechanic....

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Now there is an intelligent response and the obvious answer to your question... If it is for a car it is a 12 volt system.

Unless it is for an old volks or jeep, I think some old ford and chevy as well

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
That part will NOT work... first, yes, that is for 12v. your bike is 6v-ish...
That part is a coil; you need a CDI that can be triggered off your mag-coil... so far, no-one has found one that will work, that I am aware of...:confused:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I've looked and looked and looked. Most CDI systems use a secondary pickup coil to trigger the spark. That and they are separate CDI and coil. Considering ours is an all in one CDI and coil, and is light as a feather, obviously it's junk.

I'm actually kind of curious what would happen if you connected 2 of the stock CDI's to the magneto and then somehow spliced the 2 plug wires together into a single plug. I have a spare CDI, but I don't know if I'm willing to try, lol.

Alajoyn

Sep 28, 2009
Portage, MI
talking about magneto's, what about one off an old single lung-er Merc outboard? Parting it out, might have to alter the resistance with a few parts ect.
I'm into old Kiekhaefer 50hp outboards and use magneto's (4cyl.)
Things that make you go Hmmmmmm.
Like... setting up multiple engines ect.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Kiekhaefer...wow, there's a name out of history. My dad and I raced go-karts back in the 60s and we used a Kiekhaefer-Mercury 12hp, 2 cyl. engine off a two man chain saw for power on one of them. I remember that big cast aluminum cooling shroud that made it look like a vacuum cleaner Brought back a memory or two. Thanks.
Tom

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I did read a post from a guy who said he got a 2 wire cdi from a 80cc yamaha to work. but they cost like 60 bucks. He just happened to have a old one.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I've looked and looked and looked. Most CDI systems use a secondary pickup coil to trigger the spark. That and they are separate CDI and coil. Considering ours is an all in one CDI and coil, and is light as a feather, obviously it's junk.

I'm actually kind of curious what would happen if you connected 2 of the stock CDI's to the magneto and then somehow spliced the 2 plug wires together into a single plug. I have a spare CDI, but I don't know if I'm willing to try, lol.
This dual cdi idea sounds interesting but I am too cheap to try it. LOL.
I wonder if you could use the extra power . Three whole watts.