Adjusted my dérailleur today....

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Well I should say I started from scratch with a new twist shifter for the left side, rather than the dangerous thumbing for gears while power riding. The twist shifter installed really easy and running the cable through was fine, but the shifting turned out to be all hosed up. Only staying in one gear, then tweaking it and only staying in high, etc.....

So I took a time out and thought about it from some stuff Jim had told me about making sure there is some, but not too much cable slack in high gear and going from there. I readjusted the cable just so. Then set the H screw, set the cable tension medium roughly, then could get it to at least go all the way to low, then set the L screw, adjusted the cable tension more precisely. Shifting was getting much better. Fine tuned the H and L screws, then dialed in the tension. Lastly I adjusted the B-tension and fined tuned again.

Here's the easy version: How To Adjust Your Rear Derailer - Bicycle Maintenance Video Tutorial

All I can say is the twist shifter is NICE!!

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
All I can say is the twist shifter is NICE!!
the Goodwill Jaguar has a 7-speed twist shift, but the rear derailleur was mangled beyond repair. i'm guessing that the rear from the old MB won't work with the index shifting of the twister, so i'll probably rob the thumb shift and all from the MB for the time being.

do you do much shifting and pedaling as you ride with power? oh, and thanks for the link to derailer adjustment.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
the Goodwill Jaguar has a 7-speed twist shift, but the rear derailleur was mangled beyond repair. i'm guessing that the rear from the old MB won't work with the index shifting of the twister, so i'll probably rob the thumb shift and all from the MB for the time being.

do you do much shifting and pedaling as you ride with power? oh, and thanks for the link to derailer adjustment.
Yeah you are obviously best with a 6-speed twist shift if that's what MB has.

I hardly pedal, just to start it. Since I have the jackshaft kit, when I ride with power the power goes through the derailleur gears, so shifting is easy - but no full throttle shifting!!

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
wow! thanks for the link. if i'm understanding it rightly, that is very interesting.

so does this mean that a DreamBike would have a jackshaft and one of those NuVinci endlessly variable hubs :)

yikes! expansion chambers, springer forks, dynamo drum brakes, jackshafts... what started as a simple desire for a junk commuter bike with a little Chinese engine will be an SUV when i'm done dreaming :-(