A request from Elon Musk: Spindles

GoldenMotor.com

CrimsonPrince

Mar 6, 2020
So Elon just happened to give me a call yesterday, here is pretty much how it played out.

Elon: Hey, bro, I'm making a custom 2 stroke GAS POWERED bike on the down low, don't tell all the electric liberals at Tesla I'm doing this. I ran into a problem where I need to get a SUPER long spindle for my ride, like nearing 250mm.

Me: Ok BRO. What are the specs of things you have on had?

Elon: I've got a 150mm spindle plus a 200mm spindle which equals 350mm--

Me: --wait! Keep in mind you have to account for the loss of the end pieces that go together, which is about 60mm total, give or take, as you can't just weld them toge---

Elon: I KNOW DAGNABBIT. I'm the genius here! With the end pieces off, the 350mm goes down to 290, and I really only need 250 ish. How can I do it?

Me: I'm on it, I'll get back to you in a few hours. * BEEP* (Call ends)

Guys, can I just get these welded, and if so, how much is it going to cost? Can a welder chop and weld chromoly steel, which is what my spindles are made from? Elon is really counting on me to get this done....

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Yes, any competent welder can do this job.

Be sure that the welder only makes one welding joint.

That way, the weld doesn’t have to be perfect, so the bearings can slide over it.
If he extends both ends, the bearings might not slide over the welded joints.

Make sure to point that out to the welder.
It might seem obvious, but you don’t want any misunderstandings.

For example, you might want the weld in the middle, where it’ll be hidden inside the bottom bracket shell.