A few questions I have and hope for plain answers

GoldenMotor.com

lonewolf65

Sep 10, 2017
Ok for starters my bike is a nel louso My motor is a 48 cc china motor all stock with 30 miles on it..Im runnnig 16:1 mixture and I am running a 40 tooth sprocket. what speeds should I be getting?? seems my average top speed with no wind is 20 mph... Ive read many are getting more mph??? My plug was grey then I opened jet up t .030 now it seems less grey with some oil... not sure how to get a lil mre top end out of it?
I hope I gave enough info for a honest answer.
my next question is I am interested in getting a bigger motor.. I see many advertised at 80cc and 66/80 cc, what is the reality of these bigger motors and the expected output?? I would like to be able to cruise at 25 with a burst of 30 mph, and a bit more low end for gradual hills. as of now i might get 20 mph and even a slight grade will drop bike to 15 mph..... I do plan on getting a larger motor just for more power and give lesser to wife for riding together... My bike will be used for daily 3.5 mile ride each way to and from work. and would love 25 mph. I do have a delano HP clone carb and a banana pipe I can install after break in. I have run a tank thru this motor can I start adding the carb or pipe...??? Thank you all for any replies...

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if that is an older model of the 49cc, then it may just need more time to run in - if when going uphill there is a place in the throttle at which it suddenly seems to pull better, then it may be too rich

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
There are a lot of good engines out there. I like the PK80s better than the GT5s but others might disagree. Look for 40 stroke. Also, cut back the oil in your mix, 16x1 is too much oil and not necessary, try 24x1 for break-in and 32x1 after.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
You should get better speed after break in, my 48cc will do 30mph on flat roads with a 44 tooth sprocket, I tried a 40 and my speed was lower, the 48cc engine needs to reach a higher rpm to develop the power. I have rode as much as 50 miles on a ride cruising at 24 to 25.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The engine I'm running is a basic eBay straight plug head design, it was a no frills kit. If you change the fuel ratio to 24/1 like was said earlier and put more miles on it you should see improvements. A exhaust upgrade to a quality expansion chamber will help greatly. The little tricks that I've done to mine were milling the head to raise compression and trimmed the piston skirt on the intake side to clear the port, and a modified stock exhaust.

lonewolf65

Sep 10, 2017
Well its been a few days since ive ridden it, but rode it to work today, getting colder outside...lol Motor seems to run ok ,however it seems to just stop making rpms at about 24 mph, and I can also here some ticking, like piston might be topping out??? .Oh as far as gas mix ratio I started with 2 gallons of 16:1 and am now about half way thru that... Will finish out this gas and go for a leaner mixture.. I may try the banana exhaust and see how that goes, will wait till the weekend to test that??? Thank for the advice folks!!