A better gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
My Monarch with the 5-1/2 Jiang Dong and 3-speed jackshaft had a problem. the fuel gauge self-destructed leaving a 1" hole in the top. I took a peanut tank off a Hodaka Ace 90 my son started trials riding on years ago, but it was rusted through. Then I spotted the pretty little chrome Hodaka tank. Why not? It fit perfectly between seat and steering head. It probably holds 2-1/2 gal. I made a clamp for the rear mount and tonight I braved 17 deg. in the shop to mill a front clamp from magnesium. It is gonna work slick. The spring fork is chrome and fenders stainless steel, and tank is chrome. The rest is powder coated yellow. I uncovered a 2 ft dia. thin stainless steel pump diaphragm in the garage. A piece of that is going to be screwed to the front clamp and extend back under the tank, hiding the frame and 2-1/4" wide gap in the tank ears. It will be a perfect place for a kill switch if ever needed. I am going to have to go into the engine stuff removing the tank and cleaning the carburator. I don't know if the governor (cruise control} is going to survive. Tempted to just go direct and let 'er eat. I am only using 3100 rpm on cruise and that is 42 mph... At least I have a front caliper brake and motorcycle clutch lever to crimp it with now. The rear coaster sucks. I may end up lacing the heavy Worksman rear rim to a Honda 50 rear drum if I can't find a moped hub that is smaller..fly KW

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I got the tank mounted in good shape. Tonignt I pulled the engine and found a hole in the aircleaner housing which means it sucked dust for awhile. I took the governor stuff apart and put in a box. My next move was to spill the contents on the shop floor. I don't think I will ever see all the pieces again and if I did, not sure if I could get it back together. GOOD ! Now I am looking at the carburator and wondering if I have a piston-type carb in the shed that could replace it and let it breath better. That will mean a cable/drum twist throttle. I guess tomarrow I start machining more magnesium making carb adapter and aircleaner fitting. I checked Fastenal for the shoulder bolts I need for the spring fork I have been building. They figure four of them are worth $26 ! At that, they didn't have the length shoulder I need. That means I cut short pieces of 1/2" stainless tubing for the spacers
Poor people have poor ways. KW

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I seem to be missing a post somewhere. It may be in DIY home made motorbikes. Anyhow, I found a Dellorto airslide carb off an unknown motorscooter given me by a friend, long dead. Today I got lucky and found a 5 hp Briggs & Stratton air cleaner for 8 bucks at Lowe's that was just the right size but a trifle too thick. I found the metric threads on the end of the carb mounting studs protruding from the air intake were the same as # 8 X 32 US thread. They came up about 1/8" short of making it through the air cleaner so I cut off two 5/16" bolts at the shank about 1/2" long and drilled and tapped them 8 x 32 so they screw onto the studs through the aircleaner cover. I also found the old twistgrip from my Matchless restoration and a new small Fram fuel filter. I'M IN BUSINESS (^)

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
trackfodder Photos

The next few post will be trackfodder pic's

trackfodder....I am not too sure if this is where you wanted them posted but I will post all of them here. I am also unsure if you wanted all of them posted. I will just post all of them and we can edit or move them to another thread if you would like. Also, there where some that I just could not "open". I will post all of them as Attachments because it will be the easiest.

Attachments

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I will try to explain the pix. The first is a homegrown 2" Scotch Brite burnishing belt made from an 8"cast iron caster trued on the lathe and a 6" rubber coated iron one with a peaked profile for tracking. It is invaluable. #2 is the beginnings of my impression of a 1910 Pierce fork. The 3rd is the Pierce The front fork has a central coilover shock. I am using 2 valve springs on a fork stem with the top race and nut stopping the fork from getting out of the 1/4" plate. #'s 4,5,6 are the H-D Silent grey fellow,7-10 are Glenn Curtiss's 1911 Marvel. A real sweety. The rear shieve could be made from a clothes dryer pulley cut out and fastened to the rim ala Glenn. It would require much jigging to get it concentric. #11 is another shot of the Pierce. The front and top frame tubes were fuel, the rear, oil. That's all for this batch. Go to my last post and we'll talk about the rest. KW

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
The 1st shot is my real love, my Lotus 7 clone from scratch. The chassis,motor,cowl/windshield. #2 is the beginnings of my impression of a 1910 Pierce fork. Next is the Gru bee tank with chrome car door strip on the seam. Next another shot of my buffing wheel made from a Norton fork leg with 2 caster wheels. The next set shows my Pierce fork with it's links and valve spriings and the yellow bike showing calliper brake and 3 gal. Hodaka fuel tank. If anybody needs a large picture contact me offline at [email protected] and tell me what you need to study. KW