900 mile teardown report...

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
Ok. Summer's over and I want to be ready for next year. I hate surprises so I had an itch to see what kind of wear 900 miles did to these cheap engines to get a heads up on any problems that may arise. So I took my 80cc apart and stripped the paint and degreased all the parts. I repainted the parts that needed painted and closely inspected the critical parts.

Here's what I found.

* The cylinder has slight vertical scratches but it didn't affect performance.
* Lots of carbon build up. Removed carbon and all seems ok there.
* Bearings on clutch shaft had translucent grease...like vaseline or something. Also one had some metal flakes inside the bearing that gave it a gritty feel. I sprayed some WD-40 to clean it out and repacked both bearings. Seems okay now.
* The clutch plate and friction wheel has ball bearings that had no oil or grease. There are 3 holes that access the ball bearings in the back of the clutch plate. I shot some grease in there being careful not to put too much. The clutch pads won't work well with grease on them.
* at close inspection of the bottom of the cylinder I noticed a peice that look liked it was cracked however it is a casting problem (see pic). It hasn't been an issue so far so I'm not going to worry about it.
* Cylinder head has some real cashing issues. It looks like some severe cracking but it is bad cashing. No cracks, just looks ugly (see Pic).
* Piston looks absolutely fantastic for 900 miles after I cleaned the carbon off.
* Needle bearings look great and so do the main crankshaft bearings.
* Replacing all the screws and washers with stainless steel due to the climate here.
* Yes, That's why I painted my magneto green and the magneto rotor vivid purple.

Now it's time to reassemble the motor. I'm thinking of electroplating a new motor I might get instead of painting it.

Time to get to work.

P.S. That starter motor will work nicely once I maching the parts to make it fit. Will take some time for that though.

Attachments

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Nice job and great pictures. It looks as though the Chinese are getting their casting a bit better than it was.
I wonder what can be done with porting for a little more power?

Cr9ck

Sep 7, 2008
nice man let us know how it goes. Im really interested about your freewheel and electric / pull start.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Acumma Mentadata [ from the cartoon] don't worry be happy its all good!By the way Bobby Mechfarren The song Don't Worry Be Happy he commited suiside, I still dig it your good man ride on me boy(^)its gonna be ok

Dan

Staff
Staff member
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Don't think my last chinagurl looked that good when it was new. Nice job!

Acumma Mentadata [ from the cartoon] don't worry be happy its all good!By the way Bobby Mechfarren The song Don't Worry Be Happy he commited suiside, I still dig it your good man ride on me boy(^)its gonna be ok
Oh man, ya scared me! I had to research Bobby Mechfarren thing. (great song!) Turned out to be a rumor, Thankfully. snopes.com: Bobby McFerrin Suicide Rumor

Sorry. I ramble off topic again

amealnet

Sep 19, 2008
do you think a gas/oil mixture adjustment would improve engine wear? or maybe a sparkplug change would help?

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
Depends on what you are adjusting it from or to and what type of plug you choose. I usually follow the oil manufacturer's instructions for the oil and I go for the forum member's recommendations for the plug. Their experience with the correct plug temperature is based on trial and error.

I was quite surprised to see how well my engine was lubricated when I tore it apart.