80cc motorized bicycle in California

GoldenMotor.com

Eman760

Nov 11, 2018
is it legal to ride an 80cc motorized bicycle in California or do you need a motorcycle license?

Hauno

Nov 16, 2018
seattle
I don’t think you need a motorcycle license, but I’m pretty sure you need a permit (like $18) and they may be phasing out 2 strokes. I have heard a lot of contradicting answers. Unfortunately it normally seems to be up to the opinion of the police officer that pulls you over. Definitely need to be over 16 and have a helmet

Dale C

Nov 25, 2018
I live in Northern California i ride my bike all over for 2 years never been stopped just dont them its a 80cc if its over 50cc you have to have it registered

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Wrong. If it has a gas motor of any CC's, it needs to be registered.

You need at least an M2 (moped) endorsement on your license. Or a permit. (No riding at night or carrying passengers with only a permit.)

You need a dot helmet, headlight, taillight, brake light, horn, and left mirror.

No insurance required.

Do your research. It's been posted here multiple times.

Cops attitudes vary, but the law is the law.

Eman760

Nov 11, 2018
Wrong. If it has a gas motor of any CC's, it needs to be registered.

You need at least an M2 (moped) endorsement on your license. Or a permit. (No riding at night or carrying passengers with only a permit.)

You need a dot helmet, headlight, taillight, brake light, horn, and left mirror.

No insurance required.

Do your research. It's been posted here multiple times.

Cops attitudes vary, but the law is the law.
Thank you for the information. I did do my research and from what you can see it always is mixed answers and the info I researched was a little dated so not sure if the laws have changed.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
First you should get your bike registered. To do this you will have to spend $21 to get your registration and license plate. There is no renewal fees or stickers, it's good for the life of your bike. To register fill out form: Reg 230, sign it, send payment and mail it to the address on the form----> https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/forms/reg/reg230

When filling out the form use the serial number of your bicycle as the vehicle identification number (VIN). Also, since most of the 2 stroke 'china girl' engines have no serial number stamped on them when the DMV form asks for the engine serial number, it is acceptable to use the bicycle serial number and put an "E" in front of it in the spot on the form for engine number. "E" stands for engine. If the engine ever fails and you want to put a new one on your bike, you will not need to change your DMV registration. Okay, that's it, send it in, wait 3 weeks, it will arrive in the mail, no need to bring your bike to the DMV or anything.

Next, get an M2 drivers license, okay, the license plate will make you look legal, to actually be legal you must have an M2 (moped license) or M1 (motorcycle license). I've been riding for 8 years and still haven't gotten mine yet. I haven't figured that part out yet, I know you gotta take a written test and pay and wait in line all day... :(

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Like Baird said, "it really depends on the attitude of the police in your area".

*edit*... It's much better to play it safe & get a 'motorcycle' drivers license & avoid any problems with the local police.

Last edited:

Eman760

Nov 11, 2018
I live in Northern California i ride my bike all over for 2 years never been stopped just dont them its a 80cc if its over 50cc you have to have it registered
So an 80cc
First you should get your bike registered. To do this you will have to spend $21 to get your registration and license plate. There is no renewal fees or stickers, it's good for the life of your bike. To register fill out form: Reg 230, sign it, send payment and mail it to the address on the form----> https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/forms/reg/reg230

When filling out the form use the serial number of your bicycle as the vehicle identification number (VIN). Also, since most of the 2 stroke 'china girl' engines have no serial number stamped on them when the DMV form asks for the engine serial number, it is acceptable to use the bicycle serial number and put an "E" in front of it in the spot on the form for engine number. "E" stands for engine. If the engine ever fails and you want to put a new one on your bike, you will not need to change your DMV registration. Okay, that's it, send it in, wait 3 weeks, it will arrive in the mail, no need to bring your bike to the DMV or anything.

Next, get an M2 drivers license, okay, the license plate will make you look legal, to actually be legal you must have an M2 (moped license) or M1 (motorcycle license). I've been riding for 8 years and still haven't gotten mine yet. I haven't figured that part out yet, I know you gotta take a written test and pay and wait in line all day... :(
Yeah ima probably get it registered and get the plates that seems pretty good.

Eman760

Nov 11, 2018
Like Baird said, "it really depends on the attitude of the police in your area".

*edit*... It's much better to play it safe & get a 'motorcycle' drivers license & avoid any problems with the local police.
I live in a small town in the desert we got sheriffs no police around here so not sure who is more strict, so then I would just have to go and find out see what they say I don’t think it would be to much of a problem as long as I have a helmet and all the basics for the bike and of course not going to fast in the streets.