66cc 2 Stroke won't start -- tried everything I've read online. Please look at the checklist of what I've tried and see video

GoldenMotor.com

JoeMetro

May 4, 2014
California
Here is a video of attempted start.

Here is what I've checked and done:
  • Checked for spark, it's there
  • Magneto & CDI checked with multimeter, actually these 2 parts are brand new .
  • Fuel is good
    • Fuel valve is open
    • Fuel in carb bowl, I always hit the button a few times before starting.
    • Wiped spark plug clean, tried to run bike, confirmed spark plug is wet with fuel. Brand new B6HS
    • Tried with clip in middle and most lean position
  • Kill Switch is disconnected
  • Tried with various positions on the choke from completely on to completely off
  • I've tried starting the bike with 1/2 throttle to ensure it's not the idle screw
  • Compression seems to be there
  • Gaskets are new
  • 40:1 oil
  • Wood ruff key is at 1 o clock position at TDC
  • Flipped magnet and tried with both directions

From what I've read online after all this checking I should be good... anyone have some advice? Thank you.

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
Here is a video of attempted start.

Here is what I've checked and done:
  • Checked for spark, it's there
  • Magneto & CDI checked with multimeter, actually these 2 parts are brand new .
  • Fuel is good
    • Fuel valve is open
    • Fuel in carb bowl, I always hit the button a few times before starting.
    • Wiped spark plug clean, tried to run bike, confirmed spark plug is wet with fuel. Brand new B6HS
    • Tried with clip in middle and most lean position
  • Kill Switch is disconnected
  • Tried with various positions on the choke from completely on to completely off
  • I've tried starting the bike with 1/2 throttle to ensure it's not the idle screw
  • Compression seems to be there
  • Gaskets are new
  • 40:1 oil
  • Wood ruff key is at 1 o clock position at TDC
  • Flipped magnet and tried with both directions

From what I've read online after all this checking I should be good... anyone have some advice? Thank you.
Sometimes the choke closes automatically and you have to hold it open with an elastic band or spring. Just a thought, it happened to me once and my engine sounded something like yours. It happens and can be fixed by tightening some screw, but the spring works for me so I haven't got around to fixing it permanently.

JoeMetro

May 4, 2014
California
Sometimes the choke closes automatically and you have to hold it open with an elastic band or spring. Just a thought, it happened to me once and my engine sounded something like yours. It happens and can be fixed by tightening some screw, but the spring works for me so I haven't got around to fixing it permanently.
That's a good thing to look out for, I'm not having that problem though since I recently tightened the choke lever nut and have not noticed it go down on it's own.

Is this a brand new engine? has it ever been started before?
Nope, it's a bike that was garaged for 3 or 4 years. I recently took it all apart and reinstalled it on the bike replacing parts that looked beat up (eg the carb).,

Reactions: Davideo

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
How are you trying to start it? Short kick start with the pedals, or a long rolling start while pedaling? I had an engine that wouldn't start unless I did a long roll with the clutch out. Had to roll a good 30 seconds before it caught. That engine gave me all sorts of problems too, from dry clutch bearings to a blown head gasket. On occasion, if I left it sitting for about a month, it wouldn't start unless I rolled for a good 2 minutes. Just my experiences. Worth a shot.

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
Well it used to run and you replaced the carburetor and now it doesn’t run. To me that would be a reasonable hint at the problem.