66cc 2-stroke with Electric Start: What do you think?

GoldenMotor.com

Is an electric starter on an HT worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • On the fence

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

s1rvr15

Jan 16, 2016
Hales Corners, WI, USA
I was browsing Bikeberry, and lo and behold, they have a 66cc HT engine with an electric starter that's being presold (link: http://www.bikeberry.com/gas-engine...t-train-electric-start-engine-kit-silver.html).

Personally, I think having the big ol' battery plus the alternator sucking power is gonna make this thing real slow compared to a "regular" HT. As nice as an electric starter could be, I don't think it'll be worth the extra weight and fuss.

s1rvr15

Jan 16, 2016
Hales Corners, WI, USA
Full agreement, there. Honestly, if I'm gonna go through the process of installing wider cranks and all that, I'll save the money and trouble and just slap a recoil start on my HT. Kinda tempted to buy it when it actually is ready to ship just to try it out, but I think it's more trouble than it's worth.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I'm just curious about if these jugs are retro-fitable, and where can replacements be bought. Also, that exhaust-port has a proprietary fitting.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I'd love to have an oil injector, but electric start seem unneeded, and I'd never ride anything with centrifugal clutch.

s1rvr15

Jan 16, 2016
Hales Corners, WI, USA
I dunno, I emailed Bikeberry about it, and to paraphrase their reply: "we have no ****ing idea."

An electric start could be nice, but the extra weight is pointless. I'd rather see a kick starter. And yeah, centrifugal clutch seems kinds weird and pointless.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I dunno, I emailed Bikeberry about it, and to paraphrase their reply: "we have no ****ing idea."
Was this in reference to the jugs?

And speaking of "jugs" and centrifugal-clutches: I think an automatic-clutch in conjunction with an electric-starter is ideal for introducing a perspective mate to the hobby. I'm in the market myself for a new build, and am seriously considering this model. There are fewer things for a delicate and skittish young lady to panic over.

s1rvr15

Jan 16, 2016
Hales Corners, WI, USA
I just asked if they had an details on the engine and/or its components; I'm just glad they actually replied. I do think the automatic clutch and electric start are a good way to introduce someone, but teaching them the install would be tough, especially wide cranks; though I could see this being a nice way to bring newbies into this hobby.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I can just see someone taking plug out to check spark and the electric start has him chasing the bike across the lawn because it is fast enough to engage the cent. clutch.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I think KCvale has built a bike with one of these engines. You can search for his post or maybe he'll pipe in with some kind of review.

If I remember correctly it is supposed to be 4.5 hp but I don't know how they are getting that out of it. I'm not sure about the cylinder design, is it headless? You can't open up to inspect or clean? I don't get it.

s1rvr15

Jan 16, 2016
Hales Corners, WI, USA
Might be able to replace the centrifugal clutch with a standard one off a China Girl, but that would probably be way more involved than necessary.

As for headlessness, I don't see a distinguishable head in any of the pics, but there are what appear to be four holes that look reminiscent of those bolts on top of a standard China Girl that hold the head in place.