50's motorbike brought back form the dead

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Not really going to restore it, just going to get it running and ride. I had my first motorbike ride on one like this back in the 50's.

Found parts on eveilBay, got a fork, goose neck, and a skip tooth chain and rear sprocket coming. The wheels I have has a regular chain, sprocket, skip tooth are thicker so have to machine to machine it thinner, then weld some tabs to fit notches in hub I did this on my worksman wheel.
1653485619377.png

This bike can't be pedaled as the pedaled, as the pedals hit the motor, so they are just for braking, I did get some stuff apart and will get some more pictures today, if the rain lets me. I don't know how long this bike has be setting I got it in 2010 and has been setting outback, but to me its unbelievable how it is coming apart so far.
I use non flammable brake cleaner that really works good for me on getting things apart, seems to get in and makes the rust wet and down deeper then penetrating flued, sooner anyway, and dries slower then the regular cleaner. I put a wrench on the pedal and the crank, moved then moved the wrench for more leverage, and the pedal moved, so just keep working it back and forth and it come off. Then did the same with the rest of the crank parts and it come off. More latter ........Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I've got a old friction drive bike that was given to me, it's a rear rack mount design. I haven't though much about restoring it , that may be a future project. View attachment 110230 View attachment 110231
Boy if nothing else, that bike is old school nice. Do you think it's factory or homemade? There was a factory like that that had a Jacobson motor on it. I do have a Jacobson that lays down like they had and is two hp. Be KOOL back there...........Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
So here is the crank and parts, this rust is more like dried clay dirt, nothing really pitted just a surface type, next is to see if I can get the sprocket off, it's bent so I can fix it. Then I will clean all parts and put them back together with Industrial strength Lucas green grease, as it is not going to pedaled, just for brakes only.
1653530531953.png

1653530567841.png

1653530614399.png

Last picture is the up position ingenuity at it's best, LOL. First picture show no motor I was able to get it off, mostly square head bolts and nuts, one motor mount bolt broke, see if I can find one in my junk bolt, if not ACE still sells them. The best part would be if I could get the motor working, going to soak it tomorrow, and let it set. That and the generator is stuck also, so see what happens ......Curt

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Curt this one is home made, it looks like a washing machine motor armature and mounting plate along with the pulley were used as the friction roller assembly. The twist grip is on the left and the right brake lever lifts the spring loaded roller off of the tire.

Reactions: fasteddy

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I haven't really looked at it, it wouldn't be that hard to make a running bike out of it. I've thought of a 79cc predator for it, the problem is it too small for me, I need a large frame bike.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Curt this one is home made, it looks like a washing machine motor armature and mounting plate along with the pulley were used as the friction roller assembly. The twist grip is on the left and the right brake lever lifts the spring loaded roller off of the tire.
What size is the frame?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
A little more after soaking See Foam Deep Creep, got it this far apart, will take it to the electrical repair and see what they have to say about new bearings, otherwise all reusable. .......Curt
1655660285889.png

Got the rope cup off, bent up some, hammer and dolly time. Also soaking it with deep creep through the spark plug hole, will be very doughtfull, but got to try. It's really amazing howl after 60+ years how this has come apart, and only breaking one bolt........Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Ok I took the generator to the shop and all come apart, with his knowhow. He had a new bearing in stock, $20 for all, LOL. Oak round block was able to move the piston, turns out ok, but the crank was all curds.
1658093785881.png

1658093620031.png

I took it and put in my lath and polished it some, a little more to do.
1658093841564.png

I believe this will run after cleaning. had the fork sandblasted and now rusting to match the rest of the bike..........Curt