4stroke HS has Squeak sound during pull and wont Start

GoldenMotor.com

Milkedglass

Nov 13, 2017
Hi All—

Really struggling here. I was riding fine at 30mph and slowly came to a stop when engine idled down and died.

Can’t get it to start and there is a noticeable “squeak sound” near the cylinder area at the END of the rope pull only. I have inspected clutch, cleaned carb jets, inspected and retorqued head cover, checked the valve clearance and finally..saw the oil was low and dirty! I just swapped it out several riding hours ago and already dirty. No leaks so the low part is on me I guess but I checked not long ago.

Also, the plug is quite lean and grey so I know it’s pretty starved for fuel. Riching the screw out on the carb doesn’t allow it to start or seem to help.

Have the rings warped? Is my engine done if it got too hot for a bit? Am I missing something? Anything that makes sense now or do I need to open up the engine and see?...

Thank you for any sound advice.

Milkedglass

Nov 13, 2017
Also, I think the questionable float allows for fuel to leak into crankcase slowly since carb not 100% level, as the dipstick smells of gas

Milkedglass

Nov 13, 2017
Finally, I have a sick bike parts air cleaner and an open 28in flex pipe for exhaust which contributes plenty to lean condition it seems. Stock carb and jet. Cheers

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I don't do a lot of 4-strokes, but hate to see you sitting alone here. Did you check for spark and check compression?

Milkedglass

Nov 13, 2017
Not yet. I believe the compression is fine but need a decent gauge. What range am I looking for as I didn’t see in HS manual.

I also need a decent spark tester but the CDI was replaced with the engine

If these are fine, anything else I can do?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
most auto parts stores will loan a gauge for free - something above 100lb should start - watching spark plug while pulling rope should show a spark - check that plug is wet with fuel after several pulls

Milkedglass

Nov 13, 2017
Thanks crassius. I have spark but the automotive compression gauge didn’t show any compression when held against the plug hole. Too big to screw in so maybe it just won’t work for the small engines? I tried to fit with a rubber hose contraption but still no compression.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
there are screw-on adapters to fit different sized plug holes so one can hold throttle open while pumping it up (take several shots to fill the tube going to gauge)

if that is a correct reading, then that low means valvse leaking, rings leaking or head gasket leaking - a few drops of oil in cylinder will raise it a lot if it is rings