4G T ollite bushing woes

GoldenMotor.com

turbojoe

Mar 30, 2011
Little Rock,AR
Is this suppose to happen? The bushing was in the bell housing and I tried to to pull it out. It broke so now I have to replace it it. I thought these were suppose to be loose but this seemed to be tapped in.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh man Joe. I did the same thing.

This was a couple of years ago and forget how I got it out. Some one will join in I'm sure but think I warmed, heated it then soaked in oil. Was a coupla bucks at Ace for a new bushing.

(Knowing myself, might have gotten mad at it and beat it into submission with a hammer and a screwdriver. LOL, not a suggestion!)

Dunno what metal that is but dang sure ain't bronze.

Last edited:

turbojoe

Mar 30, 2011
Little Rock,AR
(Knowing myself, might have gotten mad at it and beat it into submission with a hammer and a screwdriver. LOL, not a suggestion!)
The thought crossed my mind, too.

Not sure how I can get it out. I have a heat gun so maybe I can use that to
loosen it. This a new kit so I guess it's good that I broke it before I put it all together. I will have to look at all the other parts to see what else I can break. lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Really don't recall Joe. Every thing is packed up for a move to a new workshop but will look for it and measure. Might be really packed away. LOL, kinda a huge and growing pile.

I just brought the bell to local hardware store. Is a common size and easy to replace. Was like the first draw I opened at Ace.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Use a socket to tap it out from the inside. Don't "pull" it out. To put it back in, put the flange side down on a flat surface and lightly tap the back side til it's in.

I don't know the OD of the stock bushing (don't have one anymore) or the ID of the clutch bell (mounted on my bike). Here's some measurements:

OD of McMaster-Carr Oilite bushing I use: 0.792-0.794 (must be tapped in and out)
OD of $5 Ace bushing I bought once: 0.752-0.754 (too small, fits loosely)
OD of VXB bearing used in cobrafreak's mod: 0.787 (slips in just right)

The McMaster-Carr Oilite bushing is Part# 6659K33. If you have a credit card, you can order it from them for $1.71 + shipping, they send it fast. Get 3.

The stock bushing is bronze. The McMaster-Carr busing is oil-impregnated bronze.

turbojoe

Mar 30, 2011
Little Rock,AR
Aren't these suppose to be kind of loose and not snug? Or is just loose against the shaft?
I've never had one of these before so I don't know. I have a friend who is going press the bearing out. I live in an apartment so I kind of don't have the proper enviroment to do some of this stuff. I have a replacement from Bicycle-engines.com coming but I think I might go ahead and order some better quality bushings. Thanks for the measurements, BTW, they will help me out.

Honestly, I don't see this thing lasting me too long. If I can break it, I probably will. I'll probably look in to replacing it with a torque converter or a EZM.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Oilite bushings aren't solid metal. They are actually a bronze powder like material that is pressed into their shape under extremely high pressure. That's how they retain the lubrication. The oil fills the microscopic voids and 'leaks' out to lubricate the mechanism. The bushing is actually porous. That's why they break easily if you pry on the flange section.

Tom

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
This bushing is supposed to move freely within the clutch bell and around the motor shaft. Obviously, yours didn't fit loosely into the clutch bell. When you get the replacement in your hands, make sure it moves freely in the bell and on the shaft.

Not to pick at you, but I can't imagine a situation where a hammer should be involved in assembling this bushing. BE recommended filling the shaft keyway with bearing grease and lubing the outside of it with decent oil.

On my bike, this is a high maintenance item. Once or twice a week I am lubing my bushing. Sounds like my sex-life (I wish).

turbojoe

Mar 30, 2011
Little Rock,AR
FYI, the bushing was already inside the bell when I got the kit. I wouldn't have broken it if is was not. I should have just soaked it all in oil instead of trying to pry it out.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That was the thing Joe! Was supposed to soak it and I thought just that pc. (Just saying my "opps") I should have caught on right away, with how secure that dang thing was in there.

LOL, one of the few times I had a metallurgical question and didn't ask Tom. (2Door)

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
US / McMaster Carr Stock/Chinese

OD 20+mm (.790 in.) 20-mm (.786 in.)

ID 16mm (.628 in.) 15.87mm (.625 in.)

Overall 20mm (.788 in.) 26.23mm (1.033 in.)
Length

Flange
to 18mm (.708 in.) 23.61mm (.929 in.)
End

Flange Dia. 24mm (.946 in.) 28.80mm (1.134 in.)

UtiliD

May 11, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
Use a socket to tap it out from the inside. Don't "pull" it out. To put it back in, put the flange side down on a flat surface and lightly tap the back side til it's in.

I don't know the OD of the stock bushing (don't have one anymore) or the ID of the clutch bell (mounted on my bike). Here's some measurements:

OD of McMaster-Carr Oilite bushing I use: 0.792-0.794 (must be tapped in and out)
OD of $5 Ace bushing I bought once: 0.752-0.754 (too small, fits loosely)
OD of VXB bearing used in cobrafreak's mod: 0.787 (slips in just right)

The McMaster-Carr Oilite bushing is Part# 6659K33. If you have a credit card, you can order it from them for $1.71 + shipping, they send it fast. Get 3.

The stock bushing is bronze. The McMaster-Carr busing is oil-impregnated bronze.
US / McMaster Carr Stock/Chinese

OD 20+mm (.790 in.) 20-mm (.786 in.)

ID 16mm (.628 in.) 15.87mm (.625 in.)

Overall 20mm (.788 in.) 26.23mm (1.033 in.)
Length

Flange
to 18mm (.708 in.) 23.61mm (.929 in.)
End

Flange Dia. 24mm (.946 in.) 28.80mm (1.134 in.)
I know this is an old post/thread but im having a mofo of a time getting/ finding these bushings in the right size. I bought a used kit from a guy locally, got the motor running, & was riding with a smile for about 50 miles. Then the bushing gave out after I put grease on the shaft & bushing(not knowing about the heated oil treatment). I probably left the belt a little tight too. The bushing ended up with a notch scored on the inside & barely on the outside(also in the clutch bell which i worked out with 220 then 400 grit sandpaper. Most of the bushing flange broke off. So I started hunting for replacements but im not paying $10 for a >$2 part then waiting 10 days for it to get here Clearwater, FL from California. Ive seen the Aleman and others post in a few places this McMaster Carr part number for a 16mm shaft. The only thing is my shaft & ID of the bushing measure just under 15mm(mind you I only have the oldschool brass slide vernier calipers but im no dummy).

I guess I would like to know what the tolerances are for the sizes of the oilite bushings.
Is it better, worse or neither if the bushing does not reach all the way to the back of the drum/bell(the one it came with did).
I'll post the pics i have of my engine / gearbox. Its the 5.1 ratio t belt tranny with the 10t solid keyed sprocket coming off the large pulley but I dont know which series.
If the shaft is a mm smaller could I just automatically do the bearing conversion?

UtiliD

May 11, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
Forgot about this post.

DO NOT TRY AND GET THE BUSHING FROM MCMASTER CARR OR ACE HARDWARE. THE ONES FROM GASBIKE WORK.

From what I experienced the Mcmaster Carr and Ace hardware bushings don't work. 1st they aren't long enough which, was a problem for my key and the shaft, they were getting chewed up. 2nd apparently there is either 2 shaft widths 15mm and 5/8" (I read on a thread here) or the 5/8" measurement is at the larger part of the taper (I believe it's the latter). My shaft clutch bell combo needed a 15mm I'D 20mm OD 1 1/6 length. 3Rd This is some kind of odd size bushing Noone carries except the bike engine companies & they are $10 ea. I have not found them cheaper.

without the correct size your likely to get your shaft/shaft key chewed up and your belt torn to shreds.