4 Stroke engine clutch problem?

GoldenMotor.com

Dawelny97

Jan 7, 2020
Hey all. Im pretty new to this website so forgive me if I posted in the wrong thread. I've never built a motorized bicycle before, but I am about to with this 53cc 4 stroke engine kit that just arrived. I inspected the engine made sure everything was okay and what not, and I noticed that when you pull the pull starter the gear on the belt drive transmission moves as well. I thought that was only supposed to move when you give it gas, not when your starting it? The kit is brand new I haven't even put it on the bike yet. Is this normal? Is the output sprocket supposed to move when you do this? I have a feeling its going to try to move the wheel when I try to start it for the first time
:-||

Dawelny97

Jan 7, 2020
Here are some pictures of the engine without the transmission cover. It's huasheng 144f with belt drive. You can find it on ebay by just typing 4 stroke bike kit with belt gear. So basically what happens is when I pull the pull starter, the entire belt moves. To my understanding this should only happen when I give it gas, which is when the centrifugal clutch engages. So if my belt is moving without it even idling, (just pull start) does that mean its engaging too early? I've tried pulling it while holding the gear in place but it still moves, that could just be because I have weak fingers tho. I can't even mount it on the bike yet because I need to get a crank puller. Im just hoping its some weird break in thing and the clutch isnt stuck

IMG_1913.jpg IMG_1914.jpg IMG_1916.jpg

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I'm not familiar with any 53cc 4-stroke kits, (so I can't picture what clutch it has).
Can you post some pictures of the engine & clutch??
Venice, on the other forum Dan has one he races, seems to like it much better, just enough difference to make it worth while over a 49cc. Although i haven't been on that forum for over a year now, they were for sale on some regular venders for a while, then not for long........Curt

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here are some pictures of the engine without the transmission cover. It's huasheng 144f with belt drive. You can find it on ebay by just typing 4 stroke bike kit with belt gear. So basically what happens is when I pull the pull starter, the entire belt moves. To my understanding this should only happen when I give it gas, which is when the centrifugal clutch engages. So if my belt is moving without it even idling, (just pull start) does that mean its engaging too early? I've tried pulling it while holding the gear in place but it still moves, that could just be because I have weak fingers tho. I can't even mount it on the bike yet because I need to get a crank puller. Im just hoping its some weird break in thing and the clutch isnt stuck

Remove the large pulley & then you'll be able to remove the clutch to inspect it...
I'm betting that the clutch is just installed wrong

Dawelny97

Jan 7, 2020
I figured there’s no point in getting that clutch looked at if I can’t even put it on the bike. So I tried putting it on the bike and the stupid carb won’t fit unless it’s at an angle. Im worried cause someone said something about oil or whatever. I’d it okay for it to be like this?
51FE010B-DBC1-40BC-8792-68C19E995C1B.jpeg 51FE010B-DBC1-40BC-8792-68C19E995C1B.jpeg

So is it okay to mount the 4 stroke like this? I don’t want to mess with the clutch yet until I know there’s a problem with it so I’m going to try to mount it first. Also if I hold the sprocket while starting it still moves. But if I hold the gear itself on the transmission while starting it doesn’t move. Sorry for the late reply I’ve been busy.

Attachments