4 Speed Freewheel

GoldenMotor.com

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
It has been some time since I've last built a 4 speed freewheel. Several on here have complained about the gear ratios being too close together on their shifter builds. The 4 speed freewheel is an easy and affordable way to widen the range between the ratios. It'll also helps to reduce cross chaining.

I used a Shimano 2 stage 6 speed freewheel hub that uses a lock ring. There's also a special alignment spline on the hub.

20210226_083749.jpg

20210226_083838.jpg

You'll need a 34t cog off of a SunRace 8 speed 34-13 freewheel. On the 34t cog you'll have to cut an alignment notch in it.
20210226_083812.jpg

Last of all, you'll need to grind the teeth off two 14t cogs if using a Shimano 6 speed 2 stage hub. If you're using a Shimano 7 speed 2 stage freewheel hub then you'll have to grind the teeth off of three 14t cogs.

20210226_084302.jpg

20210226_084323.jpg

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
knowing the difference between a fixed gear vs freewheel design is crucial to maximizing your riding experience. The right bike will help you become a better cyclist and appreciate this hobby even more. A freewheel on a bicycle basically works like a ratchet. A ratchet allows the bike to move in only one direction and prevents it from turning in the opposite direction. This is why you cannot pedal backward on a freewheel no matter what. A fixed gear bike is a type of bicycle that comes with a drivetrain but without a freewheel mechanism. Your pedals will move along with the wheels. If you pedal forward, you will move forward. And when you pedal backward, the wheels will follow the backward direction.
We experienced motorized bicycle builders who know it wouldn't be very smart to motorize a fixed geared bicycle. I was a regular contributor on Yahoo Answers Cycling for close to 10 years before the forum shut down. Fixed geared bicycles aren't very good bikes for street use. They're best used on tracks and for trick riding.

The purpose of this thread is for my fellow motorized shifters. Cyclists need smaller jumps between gears. However, motorized shifters can do bigger jumps. A 1x4 system will also have less cross-chaining than say a 1x6,7,8 etc.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
If you want a vehicle that will keep you physically fit and require you to exert more energy, you can choose a fixed-gear bike. On the other hand, if you frequently ride on tough and challenging roads, a freewheel type may be ideal for you. Choosing between freewheel vs fixed bikes greatly depends on your lifestyle, requirements, and needs.
Fixed geared bikes make terrible street bikes. They simply weren't intended for stop-and-go conditions and varying % grade hill street use. A fixed geared bike is designed for track racing and trick riding.

A fixed geared bike is far too dangerous to be motorized. I also read the link you posted. In the USA at least one independent braking system is required on any bicycle to be street legal. Places selling fixed geared bicycles intended for street riding must include at least one hand brake.

To be honest this looks like fixed geared SPAM.

Last edited: