4 cycle problem

GoldenMotor.com

William Burger

Jul 1, 2019
I have a new 4 cycle for my bike I have a little over 15 miles of riding on it. The motor lost power and wouldn't stay running and now when I start it runs for a few sec then cuts off with a load metallic sound. The motor has had a strange smell to it from day one. Any ideas what could be going on?

William Burger

Jul 1, 2019
I'm sorry, I meant when I could start it. The back will free spins if the motor is running or not. The motor has a small trans on it that engages when you give it gas

William Burger

Jul 1, 2019
Yeah I did, the first thing I did was check the oil level to make sure nothing happened. The oil is still clean and I didn't see anything in the oil that shouldn't be there

William Burger

Jul 1, 2019
Ok so I pulled off the pull cord and the cover and spark plug. I can turn it by hand and I can hear everything is moving like it should be. But once I put the pull cord back on I get one good pull out off it and then it locks back up again. Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?

Harry Coddington

Sep 5, 2019
Hi William, I know this is an old post but my 49cc seized-up and died after making just those same noises & symptoms. It might be dead. I had one that the motor looked exactly like yours.. Sorry.

William Burger

Jul 1, 2019
No worries. What I found out was one of the springs on the clutch had broke and found it's way behind the clutch and was jamming up. So the clutch wouldn't move. Hopefully it's not dead but honestly I've had a ton of problems with this motor. I'm really thinking about going back to a 2 cycle.

Reactions: Harry Coddington

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Just sounds like a machine made spring that was improperly annealed. I'd get a new set of springs and then try again. If it breaks again, then there's something wrong with the clutch itself, and that should be replaced with urgency. Clutch damage will easily translate into engine damage.