3 speed jack shaft

GoldenMotor.com

Youngbird

Vendor
Dec 2, 2008
Longneck, DE
Thats all cool looking and all....but how will the rear wheels be powered with no axle? And you had better add some struts running from the rear hub area forward to the frame....cuz that wont be at all stable enough.

Search for chopper trikes in the search box....you'll find a great one done by AZBill/AZVinnie..trk

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
Ok so that V-twin is just too cool! I'm building well several bikes, but 1 of them is a 1 off trike, based off the OCC platform, and I want that engine for it!!!! So where can I get 1, or does it hafta to be custom built? I'm not necessarily wanting it for the hp, cuz it probably still wouldn't be as much hp as 1 of those Morini's (wow), I'm just thinkin it's more Harleyish, and it would be an awesome addition to the theme of the whole thing, as there doesn't seem to be any chopper type trikes out there, at least not that I've seen! If anybody can link me to some that would be great! I also have a 3 speed hub that I was considering turning into a jackshaft, then I saw this thread n thought cool, there are people out there as smart as me (just kidding I'm really not that smart), but I did actually think of doing that, last nite in fact, then saw this thread, thought I'd see if I could get some tips n such! Great thread!
looks like your planning to drive the left rear wheel, i'm not sure how well a hub used as a jack shaft would hold up to that much weight, plus with the drive off set like that you would need a rube goldberg assortment of chains and sprockets. i would build a shelf next to the wheel and have the motor mounted back there, much simpler.
the V twin is a project we plan to work on over the winter, will be spring befor any progress is made on it.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
That is way cool. Did you make the parts yourself?? Also where do you can I get a gas tank like that. New to this stuff. Thanks RebelCraig.
yes, all the parts were made by kyle and I at acme labs. i made the tank. i have a few more i've built but have decided not to release them till after the build off since it's the tank i'm using on my build and want it to be one of a kind untill then. if people are interested in other types of tanks post up some pics of what you like and we'll see what we can come up with.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"Acme Labs" I love it! beep-beep.....

(The following is fictitious. 'Cause ya know some one would have asked if you were actually being sued, snork)

Wile E.'s Lawsuit

Wile E. Coyote vs. Acme Co.

In The United States District Court, Southwestern District, Tempe, Arizona Case No. B19293, Judge Joan Kujava, Presiding.

Wile E. Coyote, Plaintiff -v.- Acme Company, Defendant

Opening statement of Mr. Harold Schoff, attorney for Mr. Coyote:

Lawsuit

YouTube - Coyote Super Genious: ACME Roller Skates

"What Does ACME Mean?

We get this question a lot, here at ACME Labs. The dictionary definition is: "the top", or "the highest point", or just "perfection". This is straight from Greek. (Greek mythology also includes a nymph named Acme (http://www.acme.com/acme_nymph.html).) Apparently some early business school textbooks liked to use Acme as a business name in some of their examples. There's a story that the business school use is an acronym, standing for "A Company Manufacturing Everything". This is probably false etymology. Sears-Roebuck used Acme as one of their in-house brand names in the early 1900s, just like they use "Craftsman" today. For instance, take a look at this ad for an Acme anvil (http://www.acme.com/calendar/images/anvil_ad.gif) from the 1902 Sears catalog. Warner Brothers apparently took the name from Sears and used it for the mail-order company in the Wile E. Coyote (http://www.acme.com/calendar/images/coyote-harpoon.jpg) cartoons.Other pages of interest to the student of ACME: Other ACMEs on the Web (Other ACMEs on the Web) Free *.acme.com Subdomains (Free *.acme.com Subdomains) The ACME Calendar (ACME Calendar October 2009) The Illustrated Catalog of ACME Products (http://home.nc.rr.com/tuco/looney/acme/acme.html)"

Either I had to much coffee, or I have to much time.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
...even further off topic, can you get me Pinky and the Brain's autograph?

Pinky: "Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
The Brain: "The same thing we do every night, Pinky—try to take over the world!"

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
OH man! The great cartoons are hysterical and funnier now that I am "growed-up" The humor is genius. True wit, not low brow quick laugh stuff.

My neighbor is a major jerk who constantly has a major malfunction. An animal dug a hole in his yard and he decided I had snuck over and dug it to annoy him. As he is screaming at me with his eastern European accent, I wait until he stops to draw a breath and reply in a Boris Badinoff impersonation; "Suldnt U be out making big trouble ford Moose and Sqwarl?" I thought his eyes were gonna explode with the added blood from his heart rate going threw the roof! 2 DANG FUNNY!

Adult swim on the cartoon network after 11PM has some good stuff. But nothing as good as the classics.

Gonna go look up "WORD GIRL" Thanks and really sorry about rambling all over your thread. (Think I need to call "OTA" off-topic anonymous)

The Newbie!

May 19, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
Yeah, all true thanx for the feedback gang, That whole ass end contraption for the wheels is actually gonna go! that was my first thought as I kinda wanted to maintain the the OCC wheel cages somehow. However, as somebody mentioned, there's some what of a weight issue, what I'm doing now is creating an entire rear end, actually building a 3D model of it first on google's sketchup, then will break it down into component level, in which I will have each and every piece custom made, billet actually, have a buddy with a cnc lathe & mill who's kinda slow to getting at my stuff some times, but I can't really complain as he doesn't charge me near as much as others would! (actually for free) Besides, he's the 1 that turned me onto sketchup, (it's a free download everybody) at which time he created a monster, as when I'm out in the garage building and I come across a part that I need that doesn't exist, I just jump on sketchup, build it and email it to him! Anyway the billet ass end should really cut down on the weight, and it'll also incorporate a couple more shox not only to stabilize it to the main frame, but to give it independent rear suspension! That said, a solid axel is outa the question, not to mention the issues in cornering a solid axel presents. So I will either hafta to find or create some type of differential set up for it, I'm gonna go to the motorcycle graveyard and check out some of the old 3 wheelers to get me some ideas as well! Needless to say it's a project that's gonna require alotta time and R&D! Anymore feedback is appreciated!

Last edited:

The Newbie!

May 19, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
Question, so how do these titles I see under peoples screen names get handed out, and whats the difference between say a senior member and an elite member! Not that I'm big on titles or anything or care what mine is, just kinda curious what the differences are?

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
"Suldnt U be out making big trouble ford Moose and Sqwarl?"

damn it dan, i just spewed coffee all over my computer. i may have to come to frostbite falls and pay you back

The Newbie!

May 19, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
Ok as long as we're talkin about 3spds n jackshafts, btw.....is it just me or does it ever seem to anybody else like yer bike will just never be done? Mann.....anyway back to the afore mentioned, ok my original bike (still just not quite done), "The Ratt-Turd" (that story's in a different thread) has a jackshaft, pullin on a Sturmey 3 spd, (finally figured out how to build that stupid, cool jackshaft) starts from a dead stop with NO strain on the clutch at all, revs out in 1st and 2nd n upto 25mph lickity split, goin into 3 it gains speed slowly, but never reaches those higher revs! How come?

If this helps, the sprocket on the engine is whatever comes on it (10tooth?), that 1'z pullin on a 25tooth, on the other side of the jackshaft there's a 12 tooth pullin on that Sturmey! Haven't checked The Sturmey's ratio, anybody know it off the top of their head? C'mon you guys who's the man, the men, any ladies out there, that can help me wrap my brain around this and really understand what I need to do to go in the direction I wanna go which ever way that might be!

Here's a lil evolution of the "RattTurd" from right to left! Oh n those aren't the sprockets that are currently on the bike! what ya see there is a version that didn't work for me! I'll update it soon!

Attachments

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
on your jack shaft in front of the rear wheel. you need to swap the sprockets. the larger one needs to be on the left and the smaller one on the right, keep going bigger on the left and smaller on the right untill you get what you want. the 3 speed hub ratios are -25% in first 1-1 in 2nd and +33% in 3rd. the china 2 stroke isn't going to pull 3rd very well. you may have to gear it so you get good performance from just the first two gears and not use 3rd. the way i have mine set up 3rd pulls ok on flat roads but if theres any incline at all i have to down shift to 2nd. thats where the 5 speed would shine since it has more under drive gears than the 3 speed.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Cam, what is the rpm range on the honda 35cc vs that of a pocket bikes? Having experienced some chain problems myself I'm inclined to believe that the chain in the box is likely to fail early and often. If it is the 2 strand chain maybe not. The hs 50 and Honda 50 spin up to 7000-8000 rpm, coupled w/ the small sprockets those speeds require an oil bath and still reduce the hp/load limits of the chain exponentially.

Some very nice work! Keep us posted!

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
prety sure the max rpm on the 35cc is 7600,

more gears dosen't mean more top speed, these little engines don't have the power to pull higher gear ratios. the 36T sprocket is about all a china girl is going to pull.

more gears in the lower under drive range will get you up to speed faster, no low speed bogging or jerking, or you could just pedal and be done with it.

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
camlifter said:
thats where the 5 speed would shine since it has more under drive gears than the 3 speed.
hey, camlifter, which 5-speed are you looking at? that bidniss with the 2 underdrives sounds good for my human-powered, non-motorized bicycle. i was aware that second gear was usually 1:1 on a 3-speed, but didn't know about how the 5-speed worked. there's some mean hills around here; two lower gears on my favorite pedaler might be nice sometimes.

this has turned out to be a really interesting thread, BTW. i hope you'll continue to update us with the latest on your "gearbox".