Votes: 13 26.0%
  • above 30 mph

Votes: 18 36.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
The fastest I've been was about 31. I try to cruise at about 20-25. I Have a GT timberland bike. Iam about 200 pounds, 44 sprocket, CNS carburetor, SBP muffler, ported intake. The bike has very good torque and power.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Your Ranger will do 75 with a load on it? ;)

Must be the V-6 model.
Back when I was a kid and my family owned a window screen shop, we bought two of the first "little" Rangers (the Ranger used to be a specific package on F100/150s) in '82, both trucks were new for '83 model year. These new Rangers had the 2.3 and C3 auto and were definitely capable of 75MPH with 500lbs in the bed. How long those craptastic C3 trannies lasted was another matter rotfl

Our screenshop had 7 different Ford Rangers from '83 to '89, none of the auto trannies lasted very long lol

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Back when I was a kid and my family owned a window screen shop, we bought two of the first "little" Rangers (the Ranger used to be a specific package on F100/150s) in '82, both trucks were new for '83 model year. These new Rangers had the 2.3 and C3 auto and were definitely capable of 75MPH with 500lbs in the bed. How long those craptastic C3 trannies lasted was another matter rotfl

Our screenshop had 7 different Ford Rangers from '83 to '89, none of the auto trannies lasted very long
lol
lol Sounds like my beloved Dodge. :D

I voted too early, didn't read the post. I can hit about 27 flat ground, I've recently hit 35mph down hill. DAMN that was pushing it! lol brnot

JonD

Aug 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
Anybody's auto transmissions but Ford especially pretty much have always sucked... I had a 65 Tbird with a 3 speed cruise O matic and that was the only one that was OK. Now even with tendonitis in my left foot, I drive a stick shift b/c you can never go wrong with a do it yourself tranny unless you mash the gears like speed racer.

My motor which has a slow speed NT bone stock with exception of an SBP fuel valve, inline filter, carb intake O-ring, and shift kit will do 34 mph on a 2006 specialized hardrock mountain bike with the stock shimano hd40 8 speed rear derailure. When I break the motor in after 300 miles we'll see how close to 50mph I can make it go.

And my bike can do 120 mph on the back of my Focus... GPS confirmed :)

dan428

Jul 9, 2012
USA
It seems almost everyone here is posting speeds which they got after modifications.. which isn't what the post asked for..

i just finished my first bike.. 66cc engine with 50T sprocket. everything stock (except the large sprocket for fitting over coaster brake)

just rode it for the first time today on nearly flat tires and got around 25mph.. also didn't hold full throttle for very long so it'll go quicker. tends to misfire right now so speed should improve over time.

anyway, 25mph is fine for me with my crappy brakes. torque and acceleration is obviously very good with 50-tooth. i can start off from a standstill barely touching the pedals.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
This has been an interesting thread. I don't have a China girl, however I have a friction drive on my mountain bike with a Tanaka PF3300 rated @ 1.6 hp. Where I ride we have a 1.5% grade alongside a river. I'm 6'3" an sit quite high on the bike. It goes 29 max on the down grade and 24-25 up. I thought the HTs would be a little faster than that.

JonD

Aug 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
I thought the post was talking about what you can get out of a stock motor which would not prohibit bike mods... Out of the box with the 44T sprocket my bike was a pokey 21 mph and I almost got ran over a few times in a 25mph zone by angry grandmas in their land yachts that wanted to do 23 mph.

And really the speed of my motor out of the box after I had just picked the last of the packing peanuts out of it was zero because the carb float was set so high it would flood the motor out when it could even get fuel from a tank that wouldn't vent with a constantly clogged filter from the rust and debris that came complemetary with my tank....

Rmountcastle001

May 22, 2013
Saint Paul, MN
After Carb tuning and no modifications (66cc bgf with 44 tooth sprocket) my top speed is 37 mph on flat ground amazing. more downhill but then the bike starts going faster than the engine and the clutch messes up but yeah i think im one of the more lucky people because i see people saying theres only goes like 20-25. that would really suck lol

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
After Carb tuning and no modifications (66cc bgf with 44 tooth sprocket) my top speed is 37 mph on flat ground amazing. more downhill but then the bike starts going faster than the engine and the clutch messes up but yeah i think im one of the more lucky people because i see people saying theres only goes like 20-25. that would really suck lol
Your engine speed is about 8600rpm @37mph.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Is that a bad thing?
From what I've read, that's well past redline (maximum safe) rpm. You can sense @ what rpm range your China engine or my Tanaka 47R feels happy. If it's @ 5,500rpm, then gear it accordingly. Try riding your bike @ different speeds on flat ground, and determine @ what speed your engine feels best. If it's 24mph (for instance), then with a 44t sprocket, your engine's revving @ 5500rpm. If it's happy @ that 5500rpm, but you want to go faster @ that rpm, then install a shift kit. That way, you won't blow up your engine.

Last edited: