1951 Safti-Cycle

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
"Question the weak backplates..Are they inherently weak?"

Most of the backplates of the CTV's are die cast aluminum. The ones I have seen have a casting flaw called a knit line, and that is where they break.
Your jackshaft set-up should negate the side load that causes the back plate to fracture. Nice work you got going carbine.

Tom

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Looking good! Yeah the cvt plates break although it’s technically the best way to do it if they were stronger, have a direct support between driveshafts at the points of driving force. But I never used a plate either… just had the js mount on the back of the engine mount.

Your setup looks good and solid… proceed…

Attachments

Reactions: Carbineone

Carbineone

Oct 10, 2024
Kinda looking ahead to exhaust options..I am considering ordering this and giving it a whirl..The flange bolt pattern is the same as the Honda Engine.. If you look at the above photo..You will see a hole in the front frame plate..That is where the original exhaust ran through..This just might work great..

Your setup looks great also..Where did you get the exhaust on yours..Thanks

Carbineone

Oct 10, 2024
Messed around this eve thinking on a flywheel cover.... What I am doing will add a little bit of legitimacy and the engine will look a little more period correct as they used covers very similar on the originals engines of course...

I had this old Briggs kick start motor cover and pinion gear cover here.. So I am adapted it to the Honda motor..I think it will look great..I will paint it the same color as the tank tomorrow and then on Monday I will have my buddy that made my tank decals, make a miniature decal for the flywheel cover.. Should look cool..Or to me anyway..Thanks

Sorry I forgot to answer a previous question..I am going to try a 60T rear..Hope it works out fine..That was a suggestion by another member here..

Last edited: