1908 Schwinn Indian (schwinndian)

GoldenMotor.com

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
Attempted to mount the engine today and the frame needs about two more inches of clearance in the down tube around the middle section. planning to make a subtle bend and add some length in the process. Top tube is 1" diameter and the bottom tube is 1.134". I'll make the bend before I cut anywhere and then slug/pin it back together and braze. This modification is out of necessity and will give more room for the tank. It's looking less and less like a 1908 but I hope to keep the old design principals in place.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Ralph very few classic builds presented in this forum actually qualify as anything close to true replicas, including my own bikes. However many turn out well in spite of or maybe because of good changes. The term "theme bike" is appropriate for our vintage style bikes and this term was once used often by members on this forum and others. When adding heavier 4stroke motors while adding torque and power; safety should trump original design parameters. Classic looks coupled with safe design modifications means you can actually enjoy riding your creations.

Rick C.

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
Encouraging and well said as always Rick. Did some eye balling with a piece of tape measure today and marked my three cutting marks. I've decided the top tube will be stretched 11 inches and I'll have to make that happen before I can make the bottom curve. This should have a dramatic effect on the look and feel of the bike. With the rear axle moved back 3 inches, axle to axle will be around 55 inches. Now I can lay over the "torpedo" tank and still reach the pedals.

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
This morning I got up early and took a stare at the bike. Started to wonder how to get square cuts on the frame and the obvious choice was the tubing cutter that hasn't been used in years but kept nicely away. Sprayed some rem oil on the dies, greased up the threads and had the bike cut in half in under ten minutes with clean cuts. After mounting the engine the obvious choice is to build a drop loop. The bottom bracket already has a guide hole in the center for a hole saw with 3/16" of material to weld to. I plan on using schedule 40 pipe for the loop and slide that into the 7" length I left on the head tube. Top tube will get 7/8 solid bar inside the full length but just short of the existing lug pins with between an 8" and 11" long section of 1" tubing to tie it smooth. Drop loop will be formed around a plywood cradle and pipe filled with sand. Plans keep changing as the pieces get put together. I won't set a finish date but I plan to keep at it with some tight spending once every couple of weeks.

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
For this post I would like to address something that is off topic but first I just want to say that I look up to the builders here and have been a visitor here off and on for a decade. I have forgotten as much as I have learned and I remember old tricks I used to know sometimes when in need but when not in the habit of tinkering it's easy for me to lose my mechanical dexterity for lack of better words. Brain dexterity or flexibility may be closer to what I mean. I have noticed some strange sinchronicities lately in my writing. I've noticed after writing something, when I read an old post I see in shock that my words are almost identical to some older comments of posters here. I need everyone to know that I don't want to harass or repeat ones words to harass. Could be to much self inflection but I feel I have made some people here uneasy and moving forward I will do more building and less flapping my yap.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
For this post I would like to address something that is off topic but first I just want to say that I look up to the builders here and have been a visitor here off and on for a decade. I have forgotten as much as I have learned and I remember old tricks I used to know sometimes when in need but when not in the habit of tinkering it's easy for me to lose my mechanical dexterity for lack of better words. Brain dexterity or flexibility may be closer to what I mean. I have noticed some strange sinchronicities lately in my writing. I've noticed after writing something, when I read an old post I see in shock that my words are almost identical to some older comments of posters here. I need everyone to know that I don't want to harass or repeat ones words to harass. Could be to much self inflection but I feel I have made some people here uneasy and moving forward I will do more building and less flapping my yap.
Dude it just happened to me the other day!! I was reading a post from like 2010 and the same exact thing happened... I was absolutely floored at the accuracy of conclusions. I think it just means you learned something, sometime. The first time i read it, it possibly didn’t really make sense from what I thought was the best path but as a noob my own ideas were probably garbage anyway.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Ralph my thought mirrors Tony's, yet I'll take it one more step. I doubt I've ever had an original thought I've just built on the ideas & works of those that led the way and this isn't just about fabricating stuff. I'm talking life skills. Taking personal credit is a bit presumptuous.

Rick C,

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
The build is still taking shape both physically and mentally. I always take time to set my ducks in a row so to speak and then I binge build, sometimes it bites me in the butt later on but in the end I make it into something positive and even better. So far I've got all the tubes, pipes, electrodes, rods, and even pulled out a 12" X 5/8" garage door/go cart jack shaft, 2 bearings with rings and mounts, also 5 or 6 collars. Not sure about a 5/8 shaft for the reduction though, seems too weak. The gears are 8 and 14 tooth, probably won't use those anyhow. Also, found an old schlitz beer can from the sixties and plan to use that as an oil catch unless it needs vacuum. With some leftover painting supplies from the Jeep, I plan to have this bike finished out in dark brown metal flake, to give you all an idea what it might look like with the tank and everything. If the bike seems worthy enough then I'll put some cursive Indian lettering on it. I'm not good at keeping surprises so I'll just tell my plans as they come.

Last edited:

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
Drop loop drawn out. Will be bending schedule 80 pipe around an old trailer wheel by hand so had to measure the wheel and draw it out with a compass. Got it the second time.
IMG_20200116_183915898.jpg

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
Squinting helps to see the shape, I'm bad at drawings. The other drawing was a failed attempt. There will be a tube from the seat post across the bottom bracket and then to the front of the bend.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Yes Curt 6" radius die is probably minimal to mount the 4 cycle engine vertically & low in the loop which is necessary to keep COG low and for the engine to clear the tank tube. It take a lot of frame space to mount these motors low.

Rick C.

Reactions: PeteMcP