Centrifugal clutch issue?

GoldenMotor.com

CRP

Jan 7, 2017
SC
I bought a motorized bike for $50 and I knew it had some problems but it looked cool to fool with. Never had a motorize bike so I'm just winging it.

I have a 4 stroke 49cc Chinese Honda knock off motor. Centrifugal clutch.

Problem is I don't know how the clutch should be working? I can idle the motor and the bike will push a little bit forward. I can stand it up against something and the bike won't move by it's self. :-|| Should that be happening or should I not feel any push at all from the engine at idle? The brass bushing was seized in the clutch bell when I got the bike so I banged it out, polished it, greased it and reinstalled. With the belt off I can idle the engine and hold the clutch bell stationary.

Not sure if I need a new bushing or that's how these clutches work?

BTW this bike needed some help. Fuel line was shot and leaked, kill switch didn't work because the on/off switch didn't work so I bypassed the switch. Went to set the idle and the top of the nylon screw came off and to finish it off I had a pedal fall off when I was riding the bike. No idea if there was a nut on the pedal or it some how fell off while I was riding it. LOL. I think the pedal was just hammered on.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Ya get what ya pay for I guess. Keep an eye out for someone with $50 whose
looking for something to tinker with. Take it from me, you can spend a lot of
money on junk bike stuff trying to make a junk kit work, or you can spend a lot
on a quality setup & be glad you did. Get a G.E.B.E. kit & a Tanaka engine.
Read & follow the instructions to the letter. Don't assume because it looks simple.

:-||

Last edited:

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
If it wants to pull forward without throttle, it may be that the idle is too high. That's a smoking deal for a bike with a 49cc hs.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Yeah, if the bike's any good. Couldn't give me another HS. A Tanaka costs a lot more,
but they have a 7 year warranty for non-commercial use, a greater range of RPM, and
far fewer moving parts to go south. A 40cc Tanaka will out perform a 49cc HS any
day of the week. I just bought a second one. I've been riding the 1st for more than
5 years, and it still performs better than the day I took it out of the box. They just
keep getting stronger as they break in. (I have replaced the clutch once)

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Easy fix, it probably has a 7G crap transfer case from gabike on it.
A real skyhawk 4G will fix that.

But for $50 I suspect a lot more problems will follow, especially the engine mount base to the bike.

CRP

Jan 7, 2017
SC
If it wants to pull forward without throttle, it may be that the idle is too high. That's a smoking deal for a bike with a 49cc hs.
I played with the idle and have it about as low as I can. The bike will idle and stay in place f I lean it on a tree or something like that. Give a little more gas and off it tries to go. It's not really a problem I just wanted to know if the clutch is working how it supposed to. When I polished up the brass bushing I may have gotten uneven so the bell may be tilted a little. Rode the bike for about 2 miles today.

CRP

Jan 7, 2017
SC
Easy fix, it probably has a 7G crap transfer case from gabike on it.
A real skyhawk 4G will fix that.

But for $50 I suspect a lot more problems will follow, especially the engine mount base to the bike.
Bike in question.

Attachments

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Just a guess, but I'd say your clutch bell is out of round, or, remote possibility,
weak clutch springs? KC's the expert on chain drives, I'm more into actual pedal
assist with a belt drive.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
I would have bought the bike just as a challenge...all day!! Check out 'gas bike'(advertised). They have parts for that transfer case. Maybe a new clutch bell and bushing. My lil hs142 is sitting on the shelf since being replaced by a Bigger engine. Swap front ends with that other bike in the pic, softer ride And front Brakes! TLC that baby back to life. Great learner deal.

Last edited:

CRP

Jan 7, 2017
SC
I would have bought the bike just as a challenge...all day!!

Swap front ends with that other bike in the pic, softer ride And front Brakes! TLC that baby back to life. Great learner deal.
A guy who thinks like me. LOL. If I get it all running right I'll probably find a donor bike in a thrift shop or somewhere to swap out some parts. A front brake and some suspension would be nice.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Absolutely! I would have bought it sight unseen for $50.

You really don't need to get another frame, but if there's a certain one you have your eye on, don't let that stop you. You could most definitely put some brakes on that fork, which in many people's opinions here (mine included) needs to be done first.

CRP

Jan 7, 2017
SC
I don't see any brakes on that bike, now that you mention it.
It was a death trap when I first rode it. Stuck clutch, leaking gas, kill switch didn't work and only one brake that didn't work well. LOL. One problem at a time, I need to get this all running well before I put a front brake or new front fork on the bike. I'll get to it.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Ehhhh.... I'd do the brakes first.

When I build a car for haulin'ass, I start with the brakes. Whatever money is left makes the car go fast.

CRP

Jan 7, 2017
SC
Everything is running fine and I hit a thrift store looking for a donor front end.

CRP

Jan 7, 2017
SC
Back to the reason for this thread. Got a new bushing this weekend and the clutch is running well now. $6 problem solved.