Pie Trek - The Next Generation: Magic Pie Motor on a Trek Pure

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
I think we have found the bike we are going to put the smart pie on. it is the trek pure. Its a comfort cruiser with a set back seat so when you stop you just put your feet on the ground while still seated and ride in an upright position and the cables are internal which i like. all the reviews i have seen say its a great bike and very light. i like the big triangle on it and actually might try to mount the battery in their. still haven't decided on that. i have never seen one and if any one has a trek dealer near them maybe you can take a look and ask the dealer what they think of them. i hope to order it in the next few weeks. If the pure is as nice as what i am reading and as comfortable as they say i may just put the magic pie on it. i like the mountain bike but i think i would like more comfort even better

Attachments

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Re: Pie Trek - The Next Generation

That looks good. Reminds me of my Mango that I put the Staton on.

That bike is very comfy and rides nice - :)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

ya looks a lot like it. i guess the trek pure uses the same frame as the electra townie which i am familiar with. i have never been on one but people that have them rave about them. its one bike you do not see for sell as used very often which tells me something. would be really cool if i could route some of the wires thru the frame like the cables are

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

i would like to mount the battery something like this and paint it to match the bike

Attachments

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

Here's the clamp. Found at the hardware store and described as a "cushion clamp".

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

perfect. thank you mike. i will probably have to order but that will do the trick

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

ordering the new frame to day. it will take a couple weeks to get here and really excited. from talking to someone that has ridden one they said it is in between a cruiser and a recumbent and basically in a class of its own. can't wait to get it and let you all know what i think. he said that it is really nice to stop at a stop sign or to wait for traffic and just put your feet on the ground without having to get out of the seat

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA

Sine wave controller/BMS: ~$600
Crystalyte HS3540 with 7-speed cassette on 12ga wheel: $300
24s1p 72v/15ah Headway LiFePO4: $~800
ABS for battery box; $60
Accessories: $100?
(Pedal assist sensor? headlight?)

I feel like I'm missing something. But that's probably what I'm going to spend, and that'll go 35-40mph for 40+ miles without deep discharge. Plus you can pedal-assist at any speed range. And it comes with disc mounts, of course. =) I feel like that's awesome performance for a power system like that.

The sinusoidal controller listed above will be completely noiseless, more efficient especially at low speeds, and generally more awesome than a typical controller... plus they're designing twist throttles with analog regen. Meaning you can twist it one way for throttle (set to control either power or speed), and the opposite direction for regen braking. Talk about smooth! =D Also, all variables can be set and changed on the fly...

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn

With everything I'm learning here when I do get to build an electric bike, it'll be real nice. It also looks like that day will come a little sooner than I was anticipating or hoping for. I love reading the posts here, especially the ones that list parts and has pictures. Been too poor to actually have a motor bike for a while now but I've still been reading and following posts so that I'll be able to order the right parts and everything else involved in building a nice electric bike.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

stopped at the bike shop today. he said the bike was only just sent out monday from the midwest so it has to make it to florida then put on a boat to get here and gonna be a few weeks yet. pretty disappointed. i paid half for him to order and he waited till the end of the week to order. if he had ordered when i paid him the money it would be on island next week. that will cost him in the long run. won't be no loyalty from me thats for sure :(

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

Maybe he thought you would change your mind and want your money back.

Yeah, island time - :)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

nah i have bought other bikes from him but no more. i will get them elsewhere even if it costs me a little more

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA

Too bad about your bike guy paul. I hate waiting for goodies!

I don't know if you've heard of Bikesdirect.com... but they have really, really, really competitive prices in exchange for assembly upon arrival and little to no customer service. Free freight too.

I bought a Motobecane 21" hybrid 29er hardtail couple days ago; 2" tires, lockout Suntour fork, hydraulic disk brakes, decent SRAM x5 drivetrain with Suntour cranks... basically, a beefy trail/XC bike with flat bars and optional suspension. Perfect for me, and the perfect future ebike. 5 business days delivery time, apparently the typical is 4. =) I'll post pics when I get it.

This will actually be the first bike I'll ever own in my exact size =D

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

thanks xendius. i have checked with them in the past and they will not ship here. next bike i will probably fly to the states and pick it out and purchase and bring back on the airlines with me.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

got it all put togather. need to make some fine adjustments. this is by far the most comfortable bicycle i have ever rode. after putting the magic pie on it is the ultimate comfort machine. went for a ride around the block and just kept going, didn't want to stop. big time fun!

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Very nice Paul (^) The position of the bars looks way more comfortable then a MTB. Looks like it keeps you nice and upright without being bent over.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

yes and your feet actually can sit flat on the ground when you stop. it is unbelievably comfortable. i love it! got on the first time this morning and would still be on if i didn't run out of battery. after about 10 to 15 miles on the mountain bike i am ready to get off it and stretch, this one i believe i could ride all day. gonna ad a second battery so i can do just that :)