50V 1680W 7-speed Dolomite Fat Tire

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
What the heck, the shifting gas Fat Tire was a hit and looking for another Fat Tire I ran across this.

Mongoose dolomite 7-speed with dual disc brakes and 4" wheels.

It was $375 delivered, much less than the Sun Crusher gas Fat Tire so what the heck.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/product...tMZIsFQvIToaisOG-opgrndsUc0dL7ycdgaAp378P8HAQ

I am using most of SBP 48V kit parts and some of my own fabricated stuff.
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=181

Cyclone-e-bikes CY-650 ~1680W 25-48V 2255-4500 RPM BLDC motor.

Kelly KBS48 101L-L Programmable Controller 48V - continuous 840~1680W, 35A continuous, Max 100A 4800W

EM3ev battery pack with 110 18650 lithium Ion batteries with an excellent BMS (Battery Management System) in a triangle configuration for mounting in mountain bikes.

Smart battery charger with 3 settings, 50% charge for storage, 90% for most uses to extend battery life, and 100% 54V charge for when you want to go crazy.

The drive train is almost done.
It took some special mods but we have it in.

The motor has a 3 point mount via re-tasking an unused 2-stroke muffler clamp at the top.

With a little paint and magic the spring loaded tensioner almost disappears.

That was the easy the part, the hard part was the BB and mounts.

The extra wide BB only has 2cm of threads in so I couldn't use a nice wide needle bearing cartridge and had to use the stock caged bearing shaft and bearings.

With the drive side motor mount taking some bearing cone room thus moving the axle there wasn't enough left to put the other motor support mount on the bearing cage.

We ground out (in this picture) the right side bearing mount hole to slip over the outside of the BB, then made our own custom spacers with standoff nuts, pieces of an old bike rack, and bolts.

We also had to get a little creative with the freewheel sprocket assembly.
Getting the inner sprocket to the back wheel to fit past the fat tire when in first, and the motor drive chain to not hit the wheel drive when in 7th just required some spacers between the FW and sprockets.

Next up is the handlebars so I have a throttle wire and then mounting the controller.

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
I've been watching and thinking about that bike for a while now. The price is right but it is a bit heavy. Why didn't you get it from Walmart for $250 and free shipping?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I've been watching and thinking about that bike for a while now. The price is right but it is a bit heavy. Why didn't you get it from Walmart for $250 and free shipping?
I sure would have spent $125 less if I could have but just for your own giggles and grins try to buy one all the way to the actual final Pay Now click and see what it says.

If you can actually confirm that I'll buy another just for giggles and grins.

We have the power in and she functions but there are still details left to do before final pics.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Finally got the BB and motor mounts to play nice.
I just used a thinner mount plate for the drive side and that allowed for enough BB bearing cup thread.

Mounted the controller under the BB as it's the same width as the BB so it pretty much vanishes.

Made a couple of brackets to bolt the controller to the BB with the programming port pointing down and put a protective cap over it.

Moving the motor placement also changed the freewheel dual sprocket assembly alignment so I rebuilt it, again.

Also cut down the 3rd mount bracket (downtube) so the motor was snug against the frame and put a little rubber under the clamp to make sure it didn't move around.

She fired right up and we ran through all the gears, smooth as a babies behind and solid.

We could have finished it up today but come noon when my power rate changes until 7PM it's just impractical to try to keep the shop cool with a wall AC unit when it's 113F (45C) outside of my West facing shop.

That's OK, no rush on this build, but I expect we'll get her buttoned up tomorrow morning as it's nothing but cosmetics now.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Definitely not plug and play with this one. You did a great job.
Thanks for the Kudos Rudz.

We finished up the bottom with our short day today.

All the wires tucked in friendly between the motor mount plates with zip ties...

Then we fashioned a sheet medal 'wrap around' plate to cover it all up with 2 bolts.
It needs to be easy to take off in case you need to inspect the electronics or wiring so we drilled and tapped the motor mount plate to bolt it on with 2 for easy one tool access.

She's upright and 100% functional, I just need to fashion a motor sprocket chain guard and some other ascetics before I take the 'all done' pics.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The e-Beast

Funny how when you shoot pics at 4000x3000 the details of what you missed and still need doing glare you in your face when you process the pics.

Besides the obvious need for a much bigger and better seat I can spot a few places that need a little paint pen touch up and the need for a couple more zip-ties, but otherwise shes done and she really flies for her size.

I have an old school speedo here but I don't think the axle part will mount.
That's OK, I know what 40MPH feels like on a bike ;-}

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
The bike looks great KCvale. What do you estimate the top speed is because I'm pretty sure that kit is going on my next project.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The bike looks great KCvale. What do you estimate the top speed is because I'm pretty sure that kit is going on my next project.
No clue what the drag will be yet other than riding 66cc with x-chamber shifter on a Sun fat tire, we have been Monsoon'ed all weekend.

I know the electric kit well though and with simple sprocket changes on the final drive you can do 50 or climb a telephone pole at 20, it's up to what you want but I expect this fat tire will do 40 on flat ground in 7th and still climb a pole at 10 in 1st with the stock gearing.

The crucial part is the battery which is a whole other can of worms.

I have purchased 6 big custom battery packs from EM3ev, 3 big blocks for my adult trikes, and 3 of these triangle packs and was happy with all of them but man they are expensive...

Shipping, import taxes, and special hazardous material handling fees the only feasible way to get one is to get 3 and the chargers in one shipment.

I had hoped to sell one battery/charger combo but that was before my inheritance, I'm glad I didn't, I have another build here to start Monday that is getting the last one but I think I'll order 3 more as they do broaden the range of frames you can e-Bike.

Last edited:

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
I sure would have spent $125 less if I could have but just for your own giggles and grins try to buy one all the way to the actual final Pay Now click and see what it says.

If you can actually confirm that I'll buy another just for giggles and grins.

We have the power in and she functions but there are still details left to do before final pics.
It changes from day to day, one day is available, next day it's not. right now it is availble from walmart $249 with free shipping.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I'd snag that right now if wanted to build another but I like the Sun Crusher better for street riding and I haven't even posted this build up for sale yet but I sure do appreciate the tip!