Announcing the Howard Sprocket Mount!

GoldenMotor.com

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
How do-
I'm Sgt. Howard and I've finally designed and commissioned my own hub design to rid these bikes of the dreaded 'rag mount'. There's been more than a few folks reporting broken spokes useing the HT ragmount as supplied in the kit- I personally did not trust it as anything that clamps to half of your spokes and then pushes your bike cannot truly be your friend- so I came up with my own design, independant of other clamp-to-the-hub operations- it is a three-piece hub clamp designed for the Worksman monospeed hub (Shiamono CB-110) or the Chinese clones thereof on the Huffy Cranbrook. Other hub sizes will be avaliable as development allows. These C-N-C produced hubmounts will take the HT sprocket without hiccough, anchoring it on nearly 6 square inches of contact held by 6 five-sixteenths by two-and-a-half inch bolts torqued to 20 footpounds. I mounted the prototype on a Huffy Kareoke where I smeared the hub with axel grease before I mounted it... it has not budged, and that's with my 200lb carcass driving it hard!
Pix comming soon- need to downsize the images to work. PM me regarding purchase, or Email- [email protected] - I can send images through Email. Currently asking $55 plus shipping- this is a heavy, over-engineered device that is fail resistant to a remarkable degree. I will pit it against any other on the market.
the Old Sgt.usflg

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
As promised- here they are without the spacers. Those three pieces fit through the spokes and bolt together around the hub to form a ROCK SOLID FOUNDATION! Spacers let the sprocket rest easy without touching the spokes. Once properly adjusted and tightened it might as well be part of the hub- as I have said before, I will match it against anything else on the market.
the Old Sgt.usflg

Attachments

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I like the fact that it can use the existing kit sprocket rather than one that is proprietary to the mount. This enables the user to get low-cost sprockets in various tooth counts easily on eBay.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
These will also fit the hub of the Schwinn Delmar monospeed coaster hub AND the LaJolla monospeed coaster Beach Cruiser as well! I've no experiance with either of these bikes being motorized, but I measured the hubs at WallyWorld and my mount will work! Those who have motorized such bikes with the HT engine system will find my hubmounts a great upgrade.
the Old Sgt.usflg

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
Send a cheque to:
Gregory F. Howard
922 19th Ave.
Oroville WA. 98844
I do not have a paypal account, but I WILL shipp the moment the cheque arrives. Yours is Unit #0004
the Old Sgt.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Pretty cool that you can use a variety of sprockets. You should set up a pay-pal though, nowadays its almost expected by people who buy stuff online.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Great adapter, I don't understand how that doesn't spin under a real load. Not just this one but the other adapter as well. All you have is aluminum on aluminum with a compression force. I guess thats all that is needed. I don't mean spin freely but in tiny increments with a load on it like spinning the tire.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
Regarding PayPal/online account... working on it. These things are starting to move and I will be putting another order to the Machine shop that cranks these out. These are designed to fit a 1.528" to 1.537" coaster brake hub. Such hubs are steel, not aluminum. The friction/compression attatchment is such that had I made the componants out of steel as well, I would be able to CRUSH the hub with enough torque on the bolts! With the bolts at 20 foot/pounds, there is sufficiant grip that failure isn't very possible- I will not rule it out completly, but the prototype was mounted on a film of grease to MAKE IT FAIL, and it hasn't done so- that's with MY 200 lb fanny in the saddle! Today I am conferring with;
1) my bank, to set up a buisness account
2) the local computer übergeek, to set up a website, and
3) the Post Awful, to figure a variety of rates with these items
Someone has pointed out that I am fairly new to this sort of thing (motored Bikes)- this is true, I built my first one in August of 2010. There is also the fact that I apprenticed as a Blacksmith/Gunsmith/Machinist at the tender age of 11- that was in 1965. When I built my first rifle, I was not old enough to own it. Last I saw it change hands, it was auctioned off at over $2k- that was in 1987. I dare say I know something about metals and engineering. When I saw the way the ragmount worked, I was appalled. I screwed up my first prototype, then saw the Manic Mechanic operation. Bought it straightaway, then measured and drilled the HT sprocket to fit it. That is what is currently on my personal machine- I will be replacing it with one of mine this Winter, as mine has twice the footprint and three times the bolts holding it in place... plus three times the bolts holding the sprocket to the mount. The MM system is good, solid- mine just happens to be better IMHO. See ya in the funny papers!
the Old Sgt.usflg

foundmydog

Oct 17, 2011
South Carolina, USA
Sarge...

Not disrespect to you at all... please let me know as soon as you can take a credit card or Paypal payment!

WAY too risky to send someone a check or money these days... no disrespect intended to you at all, just the environment we live in these days

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Thanks sarge, i'm not sure your correct in that hubs are made of steel. Unless its a specific brand. Any ways good luck it looks like a solid product.....theres alot of loyalty here to manic mechanic!

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
Put a magnet to them, that'll tell- btw, no disrespect taken. Y'all have the right to know my qualifications if yer fanny is riding on one of my units.
the Old Sgt.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Great adapter, I don't understand how that doesn't spin under a real load. Not just this one but the other adapter as well. All you have is aluminum on aluminum with a compression force. I guess thats all that is needed. I don't mean spin freely but in tiny increments with a load on it like spinning the tire.
Think of a drill or lathe chuck. It grips on all sides and no spin.