The Pennysworth model 1907

GoldenMotor.com

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
I did get some work done today, got the jackshaft finished up. Everything lines up great. I had to make a peice to raise the jackshaft so the chains would clear everything. Ive got to get some half links tommorrow. Ill build some chain guards for all 3 chains and a couple chain tensioners.

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
SB, I was mullin over the starting issue today, while still getting rid of the excess baggage. This is what I come up with. Since we typically widen the cranks, put a free wheel sprocket on the bicycle crank (18t) then put a 54t on the crankshaft of the motor betweenthe engine and cluch, simply pedal start the motor and with the free wheel when the motor takes over the pedals wont have to move. Think Ill give this a shot on my next build.
I hope it works out. Some kind of pedal kick start would be very good, I think.

The motor looks good undressed and the whole bike is shaping up nicely. Your friend must be getting excited about the build. I would be.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
AWESOME! I can't waite to see how this bike preforms as i have been thinking about useing one of these engines for a long time. There are a lot of the flat head techumesh engines out there but you don't see to many of the Jacobson ones.
That bike is realy looking KOOOOOL.....I like your idea about the kick start and am excited to see how that works. Have you seen Goldys build with the kick start on the clutch like a recoil start he made little tabs that work one way like a recoil start.....Curt

Here is the clutch http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=28747&page=14

Last edited:

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
I went and got the offset link for the chain today (4 pack for $4). Built a chain cover for the front chain. I'll put a chain tensioner and idler pulley on inside of it. I'm going to put some sort of locking bearings in the cover so I can mount it to the crankshaft at one end and the jackshaft at the other. Made the battery box, it'll hold 2 12v7.5Ah batteries and a trickle charger that I'll remove from its casing and mount in the box. Ive got to buy a piano hinge and a Zus fastener for the door of the box. Here's some pics, the parts are just setting in the bike mocked up, but it shows the basic look.

Attachments

Last edited:

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
I've got one more chain guard to make for the drive chain and I'll use one off an ole schwinn for the pedal side. I'll put a pedal start on it if I have enough space. Pedal start would just be cool (no rope or strap or pull starter) and would allow me to trim the engine casing and remove the recoil bell. That would really slim the look of the engine down. We're going to make a copper head gasket for it, bumping the compression a little. I want the performance of a expansion pipe but the look of an OLD style exhaust. Any Ideas???

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Rick,
That is no doubt a fine engine at any price and a steal at $130.00. I have a 98cc 1934 Sachs on my Indian Hiawatha and it is a well made engine. Sachs has a great reputation. I see it says West Germany on it, so it no doubt was made before the reunification of Germany and might even be around the same vintage as the Jocobsen. That said, I still kinda like your stripped down Jacobsen, being old and beat up myself.
SB

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Started to modify the fenders still a bit to do till they're right. I cleaned the carb and hooked up a fuel supply, roped it just to see if it would cough, dang thing fired up and ran I had to kill it. This little bike is going to be tons of fun.

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Wow! That is looking an awful lot like a high dollar build. How often does the proud new owner stop in to see it. If it was mine I'd have a tent in the yard.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick,
I sure understand why. Sweet build and he has bragging rights when everyone stops him to see it. He was part of the build. Every gas stop will take an hour at least.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
SB,the tech called em 5hp he could be wrong, if he is and this is rated @ 3hp, they under rated it. This would then be the baddest 3hp I've ever seen. The piston in these things are HIGH domed (just like the 12.5=1 in my kz1260cc drag bike).Theyve got a nice walbro carb on em and the governer is adjustable with a screwdriver. My 24in mtn bike runs 42mph with a FD, get there quick too (and thats with the factory governer setting). Gets around 175-180 mpg. We're going too run it with out the shroud and start it with a leather strap. I also plan on cuttin the plate area on the motor where the shound and recoil bolt on.Make it appear that much smaller. May even put the flywheel on the lathe and remove them unsightly fins.
Are you planning to remove the governor?
SB

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Thanks, SB, I'm pretty happy with the bikes progress and the build in general. Once I cut and trim the extra casing off the engine, I will lose the factory governer. I want use an electrical stutter box providing I can find one.Heres a pic of the gov. the other is the adjustment screw. Yup, Mike says there will be video. dnut Steve, thanks ,big compliment espeacially since he hasnt hit the 200$ mark quite yet. He's looking at about 350 completed. Mike says hes gonna get every "Pennysworth".dance1

Attachments

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
If youre gonna shave the cases ,SB, youll lose the governer. I havent been able to find any info on what point (rpm) the flywheel fails. I would suggest trying to keep it under 5000 with 45 being factory settiny 5000 rpm should be safe. (???) One would think. Anyways youll see when yours comes.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'll look forward to seeing mine in person and also seeing how your's turns out. What in the world is an electrical stutter box? A disintegrating flywheel has little appeal. I wonder if there's a way to use the existing governor but reset it to around 5,000 red line. I don't know yet if I'll leave the governor, shrouds, pull start or what. There's plenty of time between now and summer to do some serious staring, setting the motor up on a wooden base to try it out and get it running smoothly and by then I'll have your and Mike's experience for guidance. The Jacobsen will be an adventure. I understand that Curtis Fox has found one, too, so that will give us old boys something to talk about through a long winter. Now we have to find an engine for Fasteddy to play with.

Tell Mike that's a lot of bike he's getting for the money invested!
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I found numbers from a guy but still looking for a compleat engine.
What happens when the flywheel disintegreats? Can it be prevented by cutting off the fins or balanceing?..............Curt