The Pennysworth model 1907

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think I'm going to be on the lookout for one of those round headed Jacobsons. It would be good if we could nail down for sure just who made it, Jacobson or Tecumseh. Even the square head would be a nice engine at 5 hsp and parts are probably easier to come by. You're right that they are small enough to pass for 50cc.
If you decide you want to sell your other round head, let me know. In the mean time I'll be looking around up my way. That's going to be a nice bike!
SB

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
OK guys, that is a jacobsen engine , they made a 3hp (501-JT ?)and 5 hp and the powerburst mode pulled 4500 rpm not 4800 ,sorry my mistake. I was out there today and there are a few more of them sno blowers in the pile. I dont know what it'd cost to ship em. If ya'll want i can check em for spark and compression, as well as see what the ole man wants for em. Just let me know.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
OK guys, that is a jacobsen engine , they made a 3hp (501-JT ?)and 5 hp and the powerburst mode pulled 4500 rpm not 4800 ,sorry my mistake. I was out there today and there are a few more of them sno blowers in the pile. I dont know what it'd cost to ship em. If ya'll want i can check em for spark and compression, as well as see what the ole man wants for em. Just let me know.
IF YOU PUT IT IN A PLAIN BROWN BOX AND SHIP GROUND ITS ABOUT $20................Curt I will take one if there is enough of the round top head

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Glad to help SB, got to agree with the ole american with new china motor jus not right. Besides I like the old American made stuff. We 'll be working on the bike for the next 3 evenings, should have some good progress hopefully to show for it.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I see that the ebay engine went for $61.55 and another $20.00 for shipping. Not bad for a running motor with electric starter. (I know, 110 V.).

I've been doing some looking around on the web and see that Jacobsen made a sno burst snow blower. When I looked for a manual for it, it said the engine was 3 horsepower and spins at 4500 rpm. I'm wondering if that machine also came in an optional 5 horse or if it was a different snow blower, maybe a 2 stage. The 3 horse sno burst is a simple machine, single stage with a set of paddles as an auger. Can you clarify this for me? What is the model called that has the 5 horse engine? Many thanks.

I'm looking forward to seeing progress pictures and eventually want to hear how that engine works out. I'm thinking it has to be good. I'm not interested in racing, but having some power in reserve is good, especially running a sidecar. Eventually I'd like to find a couple of these to fool with, maybe do one stripped down without pull start or shroud. That would shrink it down & make it look even more benign and more believably 49cc. Do a wrap rope start on the flywheel maybe, unless a kick start could be figured out. I'm starting to see that engine in my sleep...
SB

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Well so much for a copper tank, 4 inch pipe=27 bucks per foot plus 15$ each for end caps. This was suppose to be a budget build, lol. So with a little looking I found (on this site) a thread where a member made a tank from PVC piping. It looked good and was cheap to build, so a trip to Ace and a few hours labor and I too have a pvc gas tank, Before its gets paint I need to clean the metal ends up a bit, install the site guage, (spaced this out completely) fill in the philips heads and cream the tank. I dug up and ole glass bowl petcock off an old t-30 tractor.

Attachments

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
SB,the tech called em 5hp he could be wrong, if he is and this is rated @ 3hp, they under rated it. This would then be the baddest 3hp I've ever seen. The piston in these things are HIGH domed (just like the 12.5=1 in my kz1260cc drag bike).Theyve got a nice walbro carb on em and the governer is adjustable with a screwdriver. My 24in mtn bike runs 42mph with a FD, get there quick too (and thats with the factory governer setting). Gets around 175-180 mpg. We're going too run it with out the shroud and start it with a leather strap. I also plan on cuttin the plate area on the motor where the shound and recoil bolt on.Make it appear that much smaller. May even put the flywheel on the lathe and remove them unsightly fins.

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That tank is going to look good and the price is right, too. I remember getting all excited about using copper water pipe for a tank until I priced what it would cost. Forget that. I still would like to make one someday, but out of flat copper sheet, formed into a cylinder and use the antique flanging tool Tinsmith gave me to form flanges on the end pieces... then solder it up. But once painted your tank is going to look great.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I was wondering just what the copper was going to cost and it was far worse that my guess. There is just no mercy for a poor man is there.

I was going to ask you if there were any of the Jacobson motors left after everyone gets what you may have available. I'm thinking that it would look a lot better on the tricar and as Silverbear said parts would be easier to get than the Sachs or the villiers.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
SB,the tech called em 5hp he could be wrong, if he is and this is rated @ 3hp, they under rated it. This would then be the baddest 3hp I've ever seen. The piston in these things are HIGH domed (just like the 12.5=1 in my kz1260cc drag bike).Theyve got a nice walbro carb on em and the governer is adjustable with a screwdriver. My 24in mtn bike runs 42mph with a FD, get there quick too. Gets around 175-180 mpg. We're going too run it with out the shroud and start it with a leather strap. I also plan on cuttin the plate area on the motor where the shound and recoil bolt on.Make it appear that much smaller. May even put the flywheel on the lathe and remove them unsightly fins.
Awesome! I can't wait to see it 'undressed'. I don't recall what the auction said the horsepower was. While it was still up I did screen shots of the auction photos which I'll post here in a minute.
SB

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Steve, Ill see what I can do, I did see a couple on ebay. Looks like 4-5 of yall want one, don't blame you tho, I love these little motors. Im out at the farm at least once a week I'll have to dig the others out of the pile and check em. I consider em good to go as long as they have compression and spark, leaving the fuel being the only possible issue till the carb is rebuilt

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Steve, Ill see what I can do, I did see a couple on ebay. Looks like 4-5 of yall want one, don't blame you tho, I love these little motors. Im out at the farm at least once a week I'll have to dig the others out of the pile and check em. I consider em good to go as long as they have compression and spark, leaving the fuel being the only possible issue till the carb is rebuilt
I'm the big old kid in the back with long hair yelling "Me, me, I want one!!!"
SB

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
SB, ya know with a small 12v 7ah battery and small inverter you could use that 110v electric starter. run the white wire to pos. on battery, ground to frame and use a different kill switch, WA LAH lazy mans starter.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thank you Rick. Being in Canada you would think that I would be up to my wallet in them but the sad fact is where I live the grass is greener in the winter than in the summer.
When I was living in New York state and worked for the auctioneer we would have them in our auctions at regular intervals and they never brought a lot of money and sold to the guys cleaning snow off roofs who ran them until they died. I always pictured a hummingbird thimble motor in them for the way they wound up and started screaming.
More than a bit of a surprise to see just what they really are.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
SB, ya know with a small 12v 7ah battery and small inverter you could use that 110v electric starter. run the white wire to pos. on battery, ground to frame and use a different kill switch, WA LAH lazy mans starter.
Yes, I'd been thinking about some way to use the electric starter. I had been thinking along the lines of converting a smallish 12V automotive starter motor, but your way is simpler, I think. Although a simple rope or belt start would keep thing compact and give it a vintage look and feel.
SB

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
SB, I was mullin over the starting issue today, while still getting rid of the excess baggage. This is what I come up with. Since we typically widen the cranks, put a free wheel sprocket on the bicycle crank (18t) then put a 54t on the crankshaft of the motor betweenthe engine and cluch, simply pedal start the motor and with the free wheel when the motor takes over the pedals wont have to move. Think Ill give this a shot on my next build.