Having a problem with spring chain tenioner

GoldenMotor.com

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
I have a crusier frame. I have a spring chain tensioner that keeps coming loose where the arm bolts to the part that bolts onto the motor. It keeps coming loose on me when I get so much as like a half mile down the road. Ive tried a longer bolt, double nutting it and it still comes loose. I dont want to go back to the stock tensioner because they can go into your back wheel. What can I do to remedy this loosening problem? I've also tried blue loctite but it doesnt seem to help much. What else can I try?

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
I have a crusier frame. I have a spring chain tensioner that keeps coming loose where the arm bolts to the part that bolts onto the motor. It keeps coming loose on me when I get so much as like a half mile down the road. Ive tried a longer bolt, double nutting it and it still comes loose. I dont want to go back to the stock tensioner because they can go into your back wheel. What can I do to remedy this loosening problem? I've also tried blue loctite but it doesnt seem to help much. What else can I try?
Only about 10,000 of these are running stock tensioners without them going into the back wheel.

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
The spring tensioners seem like a good idea at first glance. However in real life operation it’s really close to a disaster. It only holds proper chain tension when under acceleration or steady cruse. During starting and deceleration when riding it pulls all the tension out and throws all the slack into the top of the chain.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
The best to me has always seemed to be to SET the motor chain with NO TENSIONER, and then to tension the pedal chain, using a derailleur, with the option then of turning the bike into multi-speed, or simply using a one speed tension- about $14.. A motor chain pulled tight in the stays with no tensioner has almost no risk of being thrown off or into the wheel.I used to match chains, but they'd always gradually wear unmatched- the motor chain stretches disproportionally to the pedal chain over time.