my henderson tribute

GoldenMotor.com

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Welcome one thing about it if you do all the mods yourself you don't have to much to lose except a engine,not a lot of money............Curt

I'm thinking of reconbobulating an old vacuum cleaner to use as something like a supercharger, and I've been warned that this might crack some heads :confused: But oh well, I've got plenty of spare heads.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Some of the older cars and trucks had smog pumps that made good blower, have seen them used on motorcycles in the past..........Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
When i was your age about 50+ years ago i took a rotery file and cleaned out the ports of 1 1/2 hp Briggs cast iron one. Down around the valve stems base to kind of equal the diamator of the port,went from 25 mph to 35 mph not knowing much it flatend the crank. I am thinking one should have made a bigger oil dipper. I even welded some on the cam to hold the valve open a little longer.Them were the days,sure would have been nice to have a sorse for info like AGK.........Good luck ......Curt

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Curt- I've been meaning to clean up the ports on the techumseh I wish to use now, because this motor has the magneto and armature underneith the flywheel. I need to get a gasket kit for it because it leaked oil out all over the bench at school.. woops.

And another reason why I think the techumseh would be a better choice, is that the exhaust port is at a 90° angle off to the side from the intake. And it has a bigger displacement of 145cc's or so, compaired to the white briggs (at 127cc's) and the 6s (probably around 90cc's or so).

And today I started to trim down the bb case to bring the jackshaft bearings inboard more, I got one side trimmed down and halfway leveled. Which, I don't need to be too terribly accurate with because o my use of self-aligning bearings. But still, the closer the better.

And I got the call today that my wheel is done! Woo-hoo!! 11 gauge spokes, moped hub, and a worksman hoop. I had to fib and say that I was using the wheel in "a lead sled custom ratrod bike build" because, I'm not too sure if the bike shop would've still worked on it if I told them the actual use for it.

I think I'll shelf the leaf spring fork for a while too, because I'll need to tinker with it to get it dialed in to a point of operation, so I am just going to use my monark fork's on the henderson. And also, it looks a smidge more accurate.

Cheers, ccd

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Picked up my wheel today, and its looking great. I've got a nice pair of fat whitewall's I'm going to use untill I can order a pair of electra vintage diamond's to use permenently.

I'm also pirating the filler and petcock bung's out of my peanut tank to use on the coffn tank for here.

Still on the fence of spending another 35$ to get my front moped drum brake spoked into a bike rim, tempted to just let it lie with the stock hub. Budget is tight, I'm slowly running out of my money that I had saved up over the summer.

Cheers,

Ccd

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Well,I've tried to post pics but the menu dosent agree with my cellphone. Just now I've had tomake a fewchanges to the motr mount and to put it in a nutshell, it resembles the way you mounted the motor in your bsa goldy.
Smart Phone
iPhone Pix hack.
Same phone issue. File to large. Email your self the pic the phone will ask you actual size and offer choices send a 8-900k or even smaller. Save the file to your phone from your email. Now log back into the fourm upload the pic you had the email resized.

Smart Phone iPhone Ghetto Pro Hack
Duct tape your phone to your helemt. (tape the mic or its noisy) Works with all phones. If ya crash or drop it, get a new one (insurance) If you wreck your go pro you need to buy a new one.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Ccd time to add wheel building to your skill set... Imho no motorized bicycle should be on the road wo/ front brake! I feel like the overall weight of your bike will require as much brake as poss?
Its kinda nerve racking the first time you have a bench full of spokes stinking everywitch way ,but pride and saved cash make it worth the effort .
Hope you give it a try...

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Shopdogs- I know how to build wheels, but I needed to have my spokes rerolled down from 265 mm's to 250mm's. And I don't have a die set that small. And I am not sure if Iccould even use the front drum, because the axles are significantly bigger than standard 3/8 axles. I can just ask pete at the bike shop to roll down the spoke threads for me, and I can build the wheels at home.

If I had the cash, I would invest in maybe an old worksman drum or a sturmy archer. I'll post a pic of the front drum and my front wheel in a second.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Ccd good to hear , i can help with an axle if you'd like . I've made a few for guys on forum.
We tend to use the strumey archer drum as its the easyest to retro to various forks.
Not trying to butt in just my $0.02 ,love the build so far ...

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Heres a couple pics of my drum brake hub and the stock one
in the rim currently

drum brake with large axles

stock hub with normal axles
I got to looking at the sturmey front hubs, and I'm not sure if they would accept the large gauge spokes I'm using. I'll search up the worksman models now

Last edited:

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
On friday I got a bit of work done on the tank, got all of the panels cut out on the plasma and sanded to shape. But for some reason all of my pictures turned out way out of focus, or had a split down the center. Here's the only pic that wasn't messed.up

I'm going to start tig-ing the thing together on monday. Hope I have enough mega-magnets to hold everything true and nice.

Cheers, ccd.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
At the Burning Man Event 2011 I tried out a coffin, this was while I'd been tanked up from sun down to sun rise. Ya know there is not much room to drink a beer in there.

I guess that is different than a coffin tank though?

Your getting the work done and that super! Anyway we believe you even with one picture.

MT

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
I have refit one strumey hub for (what i think were 12g) spokes . Nothing to fancy ,we just ran a long twist drill thru the existing spoke holes . It's only a dressing really ,just a few h thousands . I took the hub guts out and fit a quick relaese into it , that and a couple of large washers allowed the hub to cam down onto a small block. The block was held by standard drill press vise . This setup makes it easy to align and dress each hole . Hardest thing was finding the right drill? If i did it again i'd prob just use a reamer.
The strumey is very nicely machined ,there is a champher around the hole ,positioned to accept the button head of the spoke . If drilled out ,it's rather hard to redress ,but some heavy guage spokes (think wheel chair) dont have that type of head and should work?

That tank is gona be very nice ,i always like the tank fab the best of every build .

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Thanks for the info shopdogs, I might half to invest in a hub soon. I've only got 87$ left for my money I had saved up last summer. This long winter is dificult on my wallet! I can't get out to find antiques to sell, so I'm stuck trying to move stuff that has never sold in the past. Had some luck on a 50's kitchen set done up in gaudy colors, sold it to some hipsters.

Today, since school was canceled my dad and I went out and got a load of hay. And by sheer chance, the price jumped a dollar in the time it took us to drive there and load it up.

Cheers

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
I got the side pannels of the tank cut out, bent, and tacked together. after some fine adjustments, and some tig work, I'll have a pressure testablle tank. ive still got to bring the top pannel over to the machine shop and have them bore the hole for the filler bung (which i cut out of my old china kit peanut tank) and Ill tig that in. this tank is quite heavy.
here's a length view of it, the angle of the picture is what makes the bends on the sides look off kilter.

Mr. Lindgren, doing what he does best

Here's a pic of me holding the tank, got my jimi hendrix shirt on.

i also scored some 1/4 inch pinstriping tape, so there will be a two-tone paint job on the tank. im thinking of going battleship grey and a slightly darker color for the accents.

cheers

Last edited:

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Got my wheel.... But it cost me way too much in my opinion. $58.36 so my budget for this project is down to 35$. Don't think I'll be buying those electra diamond tyres any time soon.

Its got a worksman dimpled steel rim, 11 gauge spokes, and a moped hub. sure is built to last, Tadaa!

Ccd

Last edited: