Dax Balanced lower...?

GoldenMotor.com

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
After riding the DAX balanced with JAG it seems to me that just the thought of even a freind buying a Fea-bay kit and not trying to stop them its just almost down right criminal !!! Punishable by the Good Samaritan Law .

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
lol I have felt the same way since I let my son get his bgf kit and compared it to my dax kit even with my motor being a 48cc and his being a 66cc mine always felt better. I hope that after I get up today and change my cdi that I get to see how my 66cc dax balanced engine runs lol.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Gonna be working on my Dax tomorrow, gonna get the ports cleaned up and as much matched as possible on the jug im putting on it, not sure if Ill get it mounted and fired up tomorrow but I m gonna try, im so ready to give this engine a try, if it does what its suppose to do and is much smoother running I ll be buying a couple more of those lowers for sure.
Just spinning the crank in the case I cant detect even the slightest amount of wobble and the rotating assmbly is so dang smooth....... it may not be as smooth as the stuff Fred is doing but it sure looks as though it will be better than the others I have.
Gonna go by local motorcycle shop and pick up a one liter bottle of. Maxima 927 Castor, gonna use it for my break in oil, according To the vids Fred is putting on youtube he is having great success with it in his really fast mod.ed engines so I figure Ill give it a whirl and see what I end up thinking of it also.

Last edited:

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Your gona love it map. Ok, let's look at the money factor . Freds bottom on e-bay $327.00 + $16.00 for shipping. DAX $59.99 + $19.00 for shipping. HUUUMMM ????? Tough call.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Thought I'd share something I discovered today while looking through some of my stuff stuck back in the corner, which by the way should have been done by now...LOL!

Anyway, somewhere about 1.5 to 2 years ago I bought a lower engine assembly from Lucky Early Bird LEB/BGF, I had noticed back then that the crank in this engine looked to be much better made than all the others I have or have seen, turns out after taking a good look at the crank that is in the "balanced" lower that I just received a few days ago from Duane at Thatsdax, it is the same crank that is in the Pk-80 looking engine that I had gotten from LEB back then, seems if I remember I had posted pics and commented on the crank being drilled in a way that looked as if they were intending for it to be a better balanced lower, it also has very good looking bearings in it including the wrist pin bearing that is made so that the rod will not have that typical side to side play that has been claimed to be the possible cause of that upper bearing failing in many engines which I have experienced myself.

So it looks as if I have two of these "beefier" built better "balanced" lowers now.

Pics I have listed here are pics of the crank removed from the LEB engine which is identical to the crank that is in the "balanced" Dax lower I just bought from him, Duanes lower looks really good, great upgraded bolts and studs and everything about the case looks to have a really nice even fit, excited to get started putting this engine together as soon as I get the other parts rounded up and get me some good gaskets made up.

Peace Map
I am wondering if you have a StarFire lower. It is suppose to have a balanced crankshaft.

Here's some pictures from Grubee under Great Magneto Mystery:

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60930&stc=1&d=1372745857

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60931&stc=1&d=1372745874

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I am wondering if you have a StarFire lower. It is suppose to have a balanced crankshaft.

Here's some pictures from Grubee under Great Magneto Mystery:

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60930&stc=1&d=1372745857

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60931&stc=1&d=1372745874

Chris
AKA: BigBlue
Thanks for the input here BigBlue,

I ordered the engine from LEB/ Lucky Early Bird off of Ebay back then, it was listed as a Model X80A engine on the site add, the crank has the two balance holes drilled in it just like the crank in the new balanced Dax lower I bought from him a couple weeks ago, the LEB engine looks just like the PK-80 Engine that Pirate Cucles sells, entire engine had a real nice coat of metalic gray paint on it and it has the longer bent clutch actuator arm also, was by for the cleanest looking engine out of the box I had seen, the intake and exhaust ports are also larger on it than any of my other engines, just took a couple of picks to show the difference.

I'm gonna use the larger port jug on my new Dax Lower, I like the look of the larger ports and the cooling fins are a bit bigger, the transfer ports are shaped different and are larger also.
I'll give this one a shot and we'll see how she works.

pics below show difference in port sizes and neither have had any work done on them yet as you can see from how rough they are, also a pic of the crank out of the LEB engine, notice the two holes drilled to lighten it on the rod journal side of the counter balance.

Peace, map
.bf.

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
got my f80 running last night and man I was very happly suprised right of the back its smooth as can be might even be smoother then my f50 way and the power is the same or better then my f50 was with the reed kit.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Yep, once you go DAX you won't go BAX!!!!!! And I talk Dwayne yesterday and he said "Ive only got six left". This it'll be a while until he restocks . Got mine ha ha !!

2Stroken

Jun 3, 2013
Chattanooga TN
Thanks for the input here BigBlue,

I ordered the engine from LEB/ Lucky Early Bird off of Ebay back then, it was listed as a Model X80A engine on the site add, the crank has the two balance holes drilled in it just like the crank in the new balanced Dax lower I bought from him a couple weeks ago, the LEB engine looks just like the PK-80 Engine that Pirate Cucles sells, entire engine had a real nice coat of metalic gray paint on it and it has the longer bent clutch actuator arm also, was by for the cleanest looking engine out of the box I had seen, the intake and exhaust ports are also larger on it than any of my other engines, just took a couple of picks to show the difference.

I'm gonna use the larger port jug on my new Dax Lower, I like the look of the larger ports and the cooling fins are a bit bigger, the transfer ports are shaped different and are larger also.
I'll give this one a shot and we'll see how she works.

pics below show difference in port sizes and neither have had any work done on them yet as you can see from how rough they are, also a pic of the crank out of the LEB engine, notice the two holes drilled to lighten it on the rod journal side of the counter balance.

Peace, map
.bf.
Your crank is a typical Grubee crank. It looks just like the one in my new GT5 Skyhawk. Its the same crank that GasBike.net sells for $12.50.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Your crank is a typical Grubee crank. It looks just like the one in my new GT5 Skyhawk. Its the same crank that GasBike.net sells for $12.50.
I've bought crankshaft assembly's from several venders, including the ones mentioned. All of them were so badly out of true I tossed everyone of them in the pile right out of the box.

The reason I knew those cranks were bad is, because of the 3 motor kits I bought that all had bad cranks.

Now I have 4 motors ready to build, but no crankshaft.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I've bought crankshaft assembly's from several venders, including the ones mentioned. All of them were so badly out of true I tossed everyone of them in the pile right out of the box.

The reason I knew those cranks were bad is, because of the 3 motor kits I bought that all had bad cranks.

Now I have 4 motors ready to build, but no crankshaft.
Yeah I know what you mean biknut, the cranks in these HT Engines are one of the worst components, if someone ever comes out with a true well balanced crwnk assembly that is priced in a way that most of us would be happy to go with it would be a huge hit and I would be building all of my engines with one of them, I wouldnt have a problem paying $100-125 for a high quality crank and rod assembly.

The crank I listed in the post above may be a very untrue crank, im not sure but I will chuck it up in my lathe and check it out before I even consider putting it back in that engine, Ill do all I can to at least get any wobbles out of it if at all possible, Freds videos show some simple technics for getting them trued up better which cant hurt for sure.
The Dax lower is claimed to have a trued crank already in it so when I get that one running I guess Ill see how that works , I do know I have spun crank assembly in case and I cant find any wobble or end play in the assembly at all so I hoping I got a good one.
Map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yep, once you go DAX you won't go BAX!!!!!! And I talk Dwayne yesterday and he said "Ive only got six left". This it'll be a while until he restocks . Got mine ha ha !!
Well hope it doesnt take to long for him to restock the lowers , cant sell them if he aint got them, I'd make that a high priority on the to do list........
If the one I have now turns out to be much better than the other engines im running I will be ordering more lowers and popping my good uppers on them and making all my bikes smoother runners.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If I ever break one of my engines, I plan on checking and truing the replacement crank before using it. It takes some special tools and knowledge, but should be totally worth it to improve the way the engine runs. Might even balance it if my motor buddy feels like doing it since I can't.
(Balancing is something I do not do.)

2Stroken

Jun 3, 2013
Chattanooga TN
If I purchase a crank that is not usable believe me, it is going back. This is why I pay with a credit card or PayPal.

If I really want a true and balanced crank. I would send it to a company like this http://crankworks.com/ and pay to have it balanced and welded.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
what kind of high quality crank do we expect for $18 ?
This may be bunk......... but I have this saved in my ebay account page, this ebay store has most of there stuff over priced in my opinion and this crank cost as much with shipping as an entire lower from Duane but I just thought I would share the link.

They claim crank has been disassembled, trued & balanced......Shrug......

If that's true then I'd say $59.99 to the door ain't bad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80cc-66cc-4...547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac62a093b

Map .wee.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
$18.00 The last time I looked @ Fea-bay the BGF crank was like $27.00 w/shipping . And BGF doesn't give you a 90 day warranty or even have a phone# . Dwayne on the other hand answers his phone and you can even Skype and order or a problem with your product. I've talked both Arrow & RCMachine and they will both do the balancing & Truing for upwards of a $100.00 plus 2-4 weeks waiting time and then you still have to buy bearing , seals,and a gasket. So here the bottom line , blew up the PK racing on Thursday , order DAX on Friday ,received it on Monday afternoon , back rolling on Tuesday . I got 502miles on it and guess what ? It's week 4. So go right ahead and mail that crapy crank off , come talk to me in September when you get it together.