Bairdco Racing Series Begins, March 17th in Riverside, CA!

GoldenMotor.com

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.
What the heck.............Dave, ya lost me on that one? SoSauty likes salt on his fries.

dnut
E-bike as bbq fuel you see they tend to light on fire
E-bike tend to make 4th of July shows
alfresco = out side ie. open air
Are we on the same page now Mr. scotto?.....if not assume I'm the problem and shake your head in pity
laff

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
E-bike as bbq fuel you see they tend to light on fire
E-bike tend to make 4th of July shows
alfresco = out side ie. open air
Are we on the same page now Mr. scotto?.....if not assume I'm the problem and shake your head in pity
laff
We're on the same page alright, ya just lost me for a minute..........or three rotfl

dnut

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You west coast boys are lucky to have yet another race series available to you. Looks like Lance Portnoff is getting something together out here on the east coast this spring as well. While I won't be racing, it would be nice to be able to tool around the track some with other bikes, maybe in the geezer run. Best of all at these events is to see people you've only known through the internet and get to stand around looking at bikes, kicking dirt and getting inspired. Who cares who wins? We all do! Can't lose with an event like this. Way to go, Baird...
SB

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.
You west coast boys are lucky to have yet another race series available to you. Looks like Lance Portnoff is getting something together out here on the east coast this spring as well. While I won't be racing, it would be nice to be able to tool around the track some with other bikes, maybe in the geezer run. Best of all at these events is to see people you've only known through the internet and get to stand around looking at bikes, kicking dirt and getting inspired. Who cares who wins? We all do! Can't lose with an event like this. Way to go, Baird...
SB
All true but I would like to win one it's not going to happen any time soon so it's a good thing that it's so much fun just to go and hang out and race.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
cool, dave!

i've confirmed that overnight camping is allowed. me and the piston bike crew plan on showing up friday night and partying. race doesn't start till 2:30 pm saturday. not sure what's running before us.

there's also motels around, food, etc...

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
CLASSES

1. Unmodified 2 Stroke, Beginners, Slow Bikes, and Everyone else who just wants to ride, and not neccesarily race.

This includes Friction Drives, and slow 4 strokes and electrics.
Speeds capped at 30mph.
Front brake NOT required, but recommended

2. Modified 2 Stroke, 5.9 Morinis, and other bikes with a 45mph cap.

This class is for SERIOUS racers, aggressive passing, elbows out racing.
Baird,
What class am I going to be in with my 41mph 50cc Morini? Can I race two classes and what if I get bumped up? Will I still get the chance to finish racing the #2 class if I pay $55?

Last edited:

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
you can only race one bike in one class. if you want to race 2 classes, you'll need another bike.

and, the way my format is set up, it'll be pretty demanding to race multiple classes. there will be a short break between heats, plenty of time to switch bikes and race another class, but not much of a rest in between.

i'm trying to make this first race more of a fun run than a balls out, hardcore competition. the way my format is set up, it leaves plenty of room for grudge matches and challenges.

i'm also expecting a rather small turn out. at least, smaller than my next 3 races, as i finally got it all together a little late, without leaving people enough time to get everything together.

if this format doesn't work out, it's easy enough to change it up for the next race.

and, i'm still open to suggestions. as i said before, it's not set in stone. but since only 2 or 3 people have chimed in with ideas, i decided to do what i think would be fun.

if you have the smaller morini, you'll be in the 2nd class, with the modified china bikes.

you can move yourself up into the #3 class if you want, or you'll be bumped up if you run away with the class.

my goal is to set the classes up to be competitive, as well as a challenge for the people with fast bikes, pitting different engines against each other, and hopefully relying more on rider skills than horsepower.

personally, i think it'd be boring to only race against bikes with the same exact set-up as mine. the majority of the china 2 strokes will have the same parts, the same modifications, and the same top speeds, give or take 1 or 2 mph. that sounds too much like nascar to me.

also, it's an experimental format. i know there'll be some people who will complain about the morinis, or any other bike that they feel is faster than theirs, or will just complain in general, but i can't cater to everyone.

SoSauty

Feb 4, 2011
Bako, CA
Friendly challenges!? Com'on Scotto/DuceDave funny boys, you got a little 4stroke you been running since the Death Race, yep, know you do. I've worn out the bearings on my little commuter electric motor. All it needs to run 28.5mph is too lace in my new motor and put fresh tires on 'er. Brakes don't work too good though so don't take the outside of me on corners (he..he..he..).

Only 3 classes! Fewer classes = more fun. Guess there will 20 in the main as well, so, if you want to race all afternoon and again that evening, ya' got to either pedal hard, or build carefully, or build intelligently.

Scratch the intelligent tack; I plan to build carefully, a 28-29mph e-bike with modest acceleration, and oh yeah, next to last place pedals harder!!!

See you boys there,
SoSauty
usflg

Last edited:

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
yup. we've got 8 hours of track time. 2 hours of practice, then 2 heats each, then more practice, maybe semifinals, then finals.

depending on how many people and how smooth it runs, i might even break it up for some challenges, oval/short track runs, whatever.

there'll be enough track time to wear out even the hardest of hardcore riders... :)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Finally throwing this out there... We're going to be there to race, & we're going to bring as many of the 'LA crew' as we can. (^)
My number at Willow was 68 (if i can still have it)? :)