52cc Stage 2 CAG CVT powered X-Games Motobike

GoldenMotor.com

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

Welded the ends on the subframe "tanks". Maybe they'll make good aux tanks in the future if it tours nice. Now I gota figure out how to stick a motor to this and fasten the front of the tanks to the frame, then the plastic gas tank to that.

Attachments

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Yeah my lighting's pretty bad, lol. I try to work in the day so I don't make screeching aluminum noises at night in the dark!

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

Its kindy nifty how the frame looks like a 45 or something lol.
\
Gonna have to mod the pipe so the ex chamber's pointed in the right direction and connects up. I'm trying to take it a bit at a time because each part has been more challenging than the usual.

Attachments

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

Gonna cut on the dotted line and put some aluminum side panels in that will resist the heat and make the fairing fit with the bottom part under the trans. A mountain bike fender works great for front and rear guards.

Attachments

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

I need to pick up some supplies for the build so today I messed around with how the fairings and windscreen might look. I watched a 125cc MotoGP race and it reminded me of the windscreen. The windcreen lines show the stock low one from the pocketbike fairing, and then two possible Lexan ones, I like the middle one the most so that's what I'll shoot for. They really make riding upright at speed much more comfortable.

Attachments

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Yesterday I went around to five stores and finally got all the hardware needed to put the motobike together. Of course I had to get the wrong thread pitch of 3/8 bolt for the pegs so I gotta go pick up some of those but otherwise I had stuff to work with. I bolted the engine cradle to the bike and installed the fuel tank. Today its the peg plates, exhaust, engine prep and a ton of details that need to be worked on. Once the basic core of the bike is solid then I'll work on the bodywork and stuff. Thought I'd have it done this week end, but I've been real tired lately.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Went to the Home Depot for some bolts and all they had was grade 5, same as Ace, hope they don't bend, they're for the pegs.

I also picked up a nylon bolt to use as a filler plug for the CVT which I drilled and tapped filler and drain plug holes for, it was filled with grease. The older ones had the gear reduction oiled and the bosses were still there for the plugs. The nylon bolt allows me to drill it hollow for a breather tube so the output shaft lipseal has less pressure on it. Broke a couple drill bits trying to drill a machine screw hollow, lol.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
To flip the intake manifold and the reed block upside down to run the engine upside down, I had to shave down the reed cage a little bit and re-contour the crank side, and countersink the little holes for the bolts that hold it to the backing plate. I went ahead and put that together, re-clocked the starter, cut down the new head bolts and installed them at 48 in/lb with hardened washers. Had to turn the teeth off the drive sprocket so I can weld a skinny 9 speed sprocket to it. I also installed the gearbox onto the motor with the new bolts. Yeh, boring, mental notes.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

Well there's that. The bike weighs 60 lbs without fuel. Tomorrow I'll keep working on details and the fairings. It's prolly gonna end up being about 65-70lbs dry when its done and has the pipe.

Attachments

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Thank you Dan, I'm trying to have fun with it and not get the red mist too often during this build, lol.

Here's the peg plates, I used a fly cutter to make a channel for the bottom bracket to fit into, so it's remarkably rigid to stand on.

I have plenty of chain clearance so maybe I'll lower the pegs a notch or two when I fit myself to the bike, they're really up a bit high right now.

Attachments