52cc Stage 2 CAG CVT powered X-Games Motobike

GoldenMotor.com

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Don't know if I'll go that route, I might try to have pedals still somehow. It would be easy to make some out of diamondplate though.

I'll be getting to this bike soon.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I was thinking about the idiots that work at the bike shops and the runaround and wasted gasoline, and just ordered a chain online tonight. I ordered a Wippermann 908 nickel plated chain, supposedly one of the strongest chains on the market. They have a cool gold brass plated one and a black one too, but nickel is slicker so it will wear slower and shift nicer at high speed. I considered the KMC Ti coated chains but I'd rather wear the chain than cogs, because I can always pick up a chain to get home locally.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I got all my tires and tubes together so soon I'll test fit the mag wheels. The Chase Hawk rear tires are taller than the front Schwalbes so the bike will have a cool forward rake to it. The tire compounds feel very similar from the fingernail durometer so hopefully they perform generally similar for a balanced ride. The Hawk tires also have pretty pliable construction, so this bike should have good grip even at high psi's.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

I wish every mod was this easy, mounted the tire, put the disc on, and quick released onto the front fork.

The rear is going to be more complicated. There's no disc holes, so I need an adapter for the wheel. Using the motobike's enlarged scooter disc pattern will allow the use of a clamp on adapter. The only catch is that I'm going to have to make it. :p The rear swingarm need spreading out and one of the cone nuts removed on the wheel to fit it on, as well as axle shortening and quick release bolt shortening. I'm going to try to use a hydraulic jack to spread the swingarm, it's going to take quite a bit of force.

Attachments

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Looks like a Manic or Sportsman sprocket adapter would clamp to the rear wheel on the left side. Big cost purchase for sure, but I need two disc brakes on this bike.

I could use a sprocket as a rotor, or drill the adapter on the other side for a rotor and flip it around with the prongs toward the spokes.

Maybe a split collar from Mcmaster can be drilled and tapped to fit. That's my first plan of attack because its cheap and nondestructive.

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
16v,
Before spending lots of cash, test ride it without the rear disc brake.
I had an MB that I recently sold with just a good front v-brake & it was fine.
Any kinda rear brake would have been a bonus...
-lowracer-

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I found a split lock collar made from aluminum off McMaster for $10 worth trying. I can drill and tap four bolt holes in it, which should be okay since these scooter rotors are triple fat.

I've needed two brake rotors on my MX650 so I think this bike will be similar since its primarily for racing. These scooter brakes are great and really let you panic shop short, and I have a bunch of the ceramic upgrade pads as spares for the MX. Especially with this skinny front tire, I'd like to have two brakes to balance the bike.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Right now I'm thinking about whether to make the engine mount bot-on or permanently attached to the chassis. If I make a weld on I can obviously replicate it as a product.

I don't know if anybody reads this thread, but if you would maybe want an engine cradle for your x-games motobike let me know NOW, because I'm going to start in a couple weeks and I'm thinking of designs right now.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Yeah I was thinking maybe one that looks like the side frame on the Honda RC51 the minimoto fairing I'm using copies, or a tubular structure with truss bracing in an appealing pattern like the ktm or ducati. I'd like to make it out of aluminum so it can be beefy from many angles and still be light. I have some tubing and some diamondplate I can make mine out of. I can TIG it or braze it, either will be very strong. Id like to make it look good enough without any special fairings so it would look good on a naked bike or one with just the dirtbike fairings, and not be out of place. there are mounting points on the sides of the downtube and under the seat, and maybe the swingarm pivot can be used for a through bolt, which would be ideal. Some machined spacers will help to make that work. I could center the bolt holes so the motor can be flipped foreward or backward depending on the transmission used, since it fits perfectly centered. By triangulating maybe with the RC51 sport bike Y-frame to a mount underneath with some substructure, a bolt on could be achieved simply. I need to spend time with the bike later this month and see what works, I have a general idea for a plan.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

I think I'm gonna try out quick release axles, this will make my life a whole lot easier to go to the socal races and maybe allow me to take two bikes in my car!

Attachments

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Ebay is a good place to check first for low prices on chinese pocket bike stuff like the handlebars. Amazon is good too. I got the bars from EBay along with most of the other accessory stuff.

Thanks for the comment, I gotta get back to it but will only do one bike at a time right now so parts don't get mixed up and lost.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Bumping this thread to motivate myself, if I sell the chopper this will be my next bike build. I'm thinking about the challenge of the fully aluminum engine cradle with the vibration from a two stroke, gonna need to make it overbuilt.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Something interesting is that the concept for the electric motobike came out almost a decade ago and its finally hitting the market in a detuned prolly 250W setup for long range assist.