52cc Stage 2 CAG CVT powered X-Games Motobike

GoldenMotor.com

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I found a derailleur mount for bikes with horizontal dropouts that is combined with axle tensioners. I guess that'll be the way to go about that. For components it looks like all SRAM stuff will be quality yet affordable, seems like its better oriented for a noisy heavy duty use bike than the elegant Shimano stuff.

I need to step back from this and focus on finishing this semester, in December I'l pick it back up. I hear you on the "time's a wasting", I waste too much on these and its become kinda distracting. In reality its not a waste, but in the face of obligations its becoming a conflict. :(

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
The wheels came in today and look gorgeous. I can't wait to put them on!

I gotta get a set of 16" moped tires and some tubeless valve stems and pop them on. The rear droupouts might need to be spread a tad for the cassette wheel. The cassette is metal, not plastic. :) They're light too, and run perfectly true and look to be really high quality.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
How could I forget to mention, I also received the clip-on handlebars with red anodizing. They look absolutely beautiful. The anodizing is pretty cheap and thin but the machining is nice, the bars themselves have a spiral machined down the length to keep grips from sliding off and the clamps have an adapter sleeve down to to 1" so I'll be able to just bolt these suckers onto the shock tubes after unbolting the top triple tree clamp.

This bike is going to be really exciting! I need to order tires, a derailleur, cassette, chain, derailleur mount and tensioner, louvres, and some other stuff.

I think if I can get a few 8 hour days in at the track I can at least have this put together and rideable because it's all a matter of bracketry at this point.

I'm going to use a Horrific Fright LED head flashlight as a headlight to save weight. Usually the big multi LED flashlight elements are 6v so a motor driven circuit isn't out of the question later. This will be mostly a daytime bike though because I have a feeling that it will attract porkers like a pool of soft dung.

Maybe I should get the electric motor and put it in the drivetrain on a freewheel until I have a controller, just to make it legally an "electric" so the pedals issue doesn't bite me.

For power density, it seems that nothing tops Lipo affordably. Since this is a racing bike I prefer Lipo power density over LiFePO4. SoSauty helped me out with some used batteries to mock up the bike and get some trial rides in! Thanks dude!

I'll be trying those batteries out in my dirtbike in parallel with a AGM pack, so they will be cycled lightly for a while and them I'll transfer them to this bike. I need to make a bunch of sheet aluminum boxes for the batteries to hold them individually, since their size makes them really flexible for mounting individually. I figure the individual boxes can be attached together as a heat sink. There's a press brake at the track I might be able to make the boxes with in an afternoon and a sheet of some 16ga.

Since I'm gearing up for a race, I might hold off on getting tires until everything else is together, since the sticky compounded tires are best when fresh and they age harden and lose grip. We try to get them most recent tires for the formula cars, sometimes its hard because they come from the UK, and there have been union strikes.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
After thinking about it, I might just get the motor, water jacket, and controller since I think I'm gonna use SoSauty's Lipo batteries on this bike instead of the MX1000 because I can put them somewhere external enough to be easily removed for every charging, since they say to charge them in a bunker or in the middle of your driveway away from all flammables. That sketches me out, so I can make a couple aluminum boxes to hold them and take them off the outside of the bike and charge away from my cottage.

On the MX1000, I could make them fit neatly, but I would worry about them setting me nuts on fire. The motobike has some room where I could put them along the frame. I think I'll carry a small fire extinguisher on this bike, as having one is required for racing, and I fear burning electrolyte and a plastic gas tank together! As long as I don't exceed the max discharge rate I should be okay for the fire safety on the bike, but this must be carefully monitored. I'm gonna have to get a watt meter for it.

All these tradeoffs are worth it for the power density though, a 15 lb pack that has 66.6v 12ah capacity is nothing to scoff at, especially when you consider the hungry nature of high power rc motors. The 5hp one I will use will take 90a at 43 v, so I will be able to make a 44.4v 24ah pack by adding two more packs, or about 5 lbs. That should give the electric sufficient range to be as practical as the gas engine.

Safety >snicker< will be the primary concern with these batteries, as it should be yours with using Lipo packs because if misused they can cause massive fires.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
1128121853.jpg

1129121413.jpg

1129121413c.jpg

The handlebar clamps need a little filing and some 12.9 bolts for their clamping to the shocks and then it'll be ok. I Stripped one trying to get it tight enough, they're a soft stainless.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I think it would make riding more comfortable, the big fairing might slow the bike a bit but it would make it way more comfortable at high speed.

Your fairings would be for the comfort of the rider rather than cleaning up the aero of the bike. I'm gonna have to crouch on this to have a clean profile.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I was thinking I could make some mini floorboards to technically make this thing legally a huge goped until I figure out a electric motor drivetrain for the hybrid.

That way I can ride it using my auto license and it carries less restrictions on the engine and drivetrain. I was thinking a couple mini floorboards on the sides of the frame which could house batteries underneath in boxes.

I could machine a mega-wide crank axle, but it would be pointless, I'd lean, and dig in, and die. lol

As long as you can stand up on a hard surface and act like you're surfing on it, it's a motorized scooter, and if you are a manufacturer, and abide by your own manufacturers specifications for motor and exhaust and it's not "modified", then your manufactured large stand-up scooter is good to go. I think it would be wise to carry a large printout directly from the dmv website to advocate for yourself in case a mistaken officer would like to question your rights.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
So the goped floorboards aren't going to work, the speed limit for those is 15 mph, lol. Nevermind...

Today I got a Harbor Freight LED headlamp which will work well for a motor bicycle headlamp coincidentally.It's got five LED's across and will fit perfectly behind where the MiniMoto logo bolts into the fairing from the back. I don't really plan on using this bike at night so the headlight will be more of a visibility and legality thing, I don't think it'll be bright enough for a headlight at 30 with only 5 LED's considering I use one with about 30 for a headlight and it's sufficient. There are two other reflector spots where I can mount some 12v headlights if I want, and turn signals in the side reflectors.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Replaced all the bolts in the clip-ons with 12.9's with red loctite, this is a must.

The bars no longer have any jiggle play whatsoever and feel solid like one unit.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I gotta order the louvered aluminum or use regular sheet. Maybe I should wait on the fairing until after mounting the motor to make sure it fits. In reality, as a street bike the fairing can almost be scraping the ground, so I have plenty of room to extend it down.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Ordered some tires, here's what they look like on a trike.

If the grip or ride is intolerable then I'll go up to BMX or Moped tires. These will secure my bike's identity to the police as a bicycle, and not a small bore street bike.

I figure if the grip is okay, they might be more efficient than fatter tires, there are a bunch of factors at play, but at least these tires won't be balloons on the mag wheels, which requires a lot of pressure to keep the sidewalls stable.

I hate messing with tubes and would rather deal with Slime's mess, so I'm going to to tubeless. It might have more grip that way, and the wheels will be lighter.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
16v,
I used to run Stans No Tubes in my MTB years ago, but it was more mess inside the rim than what it was worth. Let me know if tubeless is now avail in high pressure tires (it wasn't back then).
-Low-

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I'm not sure, it's quite possible it won't work at all. I figured that tubeless would allow for a bit more grip out of skinny tires at high pressure. I actually don't know much about running bike tires tubeless, but I thought that the mags would be a good wheel to try it with because there are no spoke holes to worry about sealing. I'll probably end up with tubes, going to research further whether it's safe to run tubeless road tires. I'll prolly end up with tubes, lol.

I was going to get Pirelli moped tires, but I think for the street these will allow me to get pulled over less, and on the track they should be more efficient.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I didn't realize I'd need to use sealing fluid too, I'm going to get some tubes. Thanks Lowracer!

I was thinking I might try to get a similar wider tire for the rear. Maybe Schwalbe makes a BMX tire...

edit:
Well they don't, lol. I looked around at BMX slicks with the goal of finding one with a regular size, sticky compound, no treadblocks on center, but some to keep from sliding out on bad pavement or wet. I want a fatter tire on the rear because I was thinking abut how my rear wheels always get out of round quicker than the front, some tire cushion is a good idea with these mags. It would be dreadful to have a wheel crumble at speed.

So this is the best I could find short of buying moped tires. ASM Animal tires sound like they're meant for ramps exclusively, so they're not durable.

I know Maxxis Hookworms are the norm, but I'm not fond of how they look, and want no tread on center and a super high pressure limit. This little motor needs low rolling resistance.

Chase Hawk 20 x 2.20, I can use regular BMX tubes in the rear. 100 psi max!

I ordered one tire, with the anticipation that I'll prolly go through two fronts for every one since fatter tires generally wear slower. I'm just going to use the tubes from my Motobike 2.25 knobbies full of Slime. I ordered some Kenda tubes for the front tires at a screaming deal of only $3 each!

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Ordered a SRAM grip shifter and 9 speed derailleur and a cassette, along with chain tensioners that have the derailleur mount incorporated.

Still need a 9 speed chain, not sure whether a overkill durable chain is worth is because it will wear cogs quicker. might source it locally, if the millions of trendy local bike shops don't have some decent chain they're useless.