Will this coil work? Universal 12v, 4ohms. I want a coil that looks different/nicer

GoldenMotor.com

Evanfrucht

Oct 17, 2017
Hey everyone, I know very little when it's comes to the electrical aspects of these things and motors in general. I'm trying to learn more about it. Anyways how can I tell if a certain "universal" coil will work for a 66cc Chinese bicycle engine. I'm looking at this one in particular. What are the specs for the stock coil that comes with the kit? Is it 12 or 6 volt? How many ohms? What does that all mean in regards to compatabilty? Can someone try to explain external coil interchanagabilty.

https://www.dimecitycycles.com/vint...universal-12-volt-ignition-coil-24-71512.html

I'm not concerned about any power boost or anything like that. I'm sure the stock coil works perfectly fine and would last a long time. Main concern: would this other coil work too and without hindering performance? It's just ugly, so I want to change it.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Seems to me that this coil cannot be used with the standard 66/80cc engine. it requires a constant 12 or 6v supply and points or solid state ignition. (I may be wrong and would like to be corrected if not correct)
I have used a similar coil on some bicycle builds that that did not have a magnito flywheel.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
most setups that use a big coil, still need to have the CDI to control timing

if you just don't like the looks of CDI, then hide it under motor or under seat or put it in a tin can that looks like a coil or ... or ...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Evan,

There have been some great ways to pretty it up. I really think a soup can would look awesome! Sorta funky, DIY and steampunk. But if ya look around, folks have done some really great stuff.

Can't find ya a link. (sorry Bud)

I am in the minority but like the way they look and the gas tanks. Than again, I like the way ubolts look so take me with a grain of whisky.