Will Gas Shifters Become an Extinct Species

GoldenMotor.com

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
With Sick Bike Parts Shutting down and soon only low grade shift kits will be available; are gas shifters doomed for extinction? Unless something changes, future shifters will have to buy the low grade shift kits and upgrade them.

Reactions: fasteddy

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I think you can still by the heavy duty bearing for the shift kits, witch was the downfall.........Curt
It's my hope a company such as Gru-Bee will step up and produce high quality shift kits like the SPB shifters. I feel with only low grade kits that needs upgrading will cause future builders to lose interest in shifter builds.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I've never built a shifting bike, I'm working on a multi-speed bike now but the frame design won't work. I've seen times when a shift kit would be nice. I'm motorizing a Electra Townie, it has forward mounted pedals, I've moved the engine forward and will build a rear mount. The jackshaft would probably hit the seat tube since the engine is mounted forward. If someone can give me the distance from the mounting holes to the jackshaft I could measure to see if it will fit.

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I've never built a shifting bike, I'm working on a multi-speed bike now but the frame design won't work. I've seen times when a shift kit would be nice. I'm motorizing a Electra Townie, it has forward mounted pedals, I've moved the engine forward and will build a rear mount. The jackshaft would probably hit the seat tube since the engine is mounted forward. If someone can give me the distance from the mounting holes to the jackshaft I could measure to see if it will fit.
If you're a large person (225+ lbs) using a small engine (49cc or less) and live where there's really steep hills (20%+ grade) you must have multiple engine driven gears.

I'm 240 lbs have a 4 stroke 33cc engine and live in the mountains where hills can be up to a 30% grade.

I use a triple chainring shift kit making my bike an even more rare and endangered species lol. Soon I'll be doing a thread on the history of the multi chainring shift kit.

20210704_204619.jpg

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I contacted Gru-Bee a few weeks ago about the 10G system since SBP is shutting down. It looks like they're now putting a shift kit and 4G transmission into a 10G package.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I think one of the reasons shift kits are not so popular is that a lot of states require all automatic no shifting, like a moped. That and the coast of addons, coast almost as much as a motor. .......Curt

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I think one of the reasons shift kits are not so popular is that a lot of states require all automatic no shifting, like a moped. That and the coast of addons, coast almost as much as a motor. .......Curt
Most states statutes say you can't manually shift. This was my main reason behind building the LandRider which shifted gears automatically.

My state Tennessee has an automatic transmission clause in its statute like most states do. Tennessee also has a 30 mph speed limit for motorized bicycles. However, now that I have the Sidewinder which is manually shifted I've found the police here won't bother you as long as you don't exceed 30 mph, stay off sidewalks and fully obey all the traffic laws.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
When I built my first bike in 2011 a single speed 50cc was what the laws allowed, if a person doesn’t act crazy no one cares, I have never been stopped or asked by law enforcement about my bike in terms of legal status.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
When I built my first bike in 2011 a single speed 50cc was what the laws allowed, if a person doesn’t act crazy no one cares, I have never been stopped or asked by law enforcement about my bike in terms of legal status.
I too have never been pulled over and have been riding for 12 years. I'm often posting these videos. Being a good MB'er starts with being a good cyclist first.

The thing I'm most against is MB'ers making videos of irresponsible riding then posting them on the public media. When certain law makers wish to get our bikes banned from the public road ways videos of irresponsible riding make the perfect ammunition to support their cause.

What's really sad is when I've mentioned this to both the MB forums members who feel it's ok to film and post roll throughs on STOP signs and Red lights as long as there's no approaching traffic; they get quite angry over it. This is where bad cycling habits have been transferred over into the MB world. Such behavior causes many to feel all MB'ers believe traffic laws don't apply to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg58 and fasteddy

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I have a valid MC license and have logged a lot of mile on a motorcycle, I ride my bikes just like I did my motorcycle. I stop and every stop sign or light and obey all traffic laws. Georgia has a max speed for motorized bicycles of 30 MPH so i stay right there or slightly below, I've never done anything to draw attention, I enjoy our hobby and don't want to see more restrictions.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I have a valid MC license and have logged a lot of mile on a motorcycle, I ride my bikes just like I did my motorcycle. I stop and every stop sign or light and obey all traffic laws. Georgia has a max speed for motorized bicycles of 30 MPH so i stay right there or slightly below, I've never done anything to draw attention, I enjoy our hobby and don't want to see more restrictions.
For many year I was on a pedal only cycling forum. Which is where I learned about the videos I posted. On Yahoo Answers Cycling I learned what the "Far Right" law actually means and what Lane Control is.

The Far Right law means a cyclist/MB'er is to ride to the far right if a lane is wide enough for Lane Sharing. Lane Sharing shouldn't be confused with Lane Splitting. Lane Sharing means the lane is wide enough for for a motorist to safely clear the cyclist/MB'er by 3 feet without having to switch lanes to pass. If the lane isn't wide enough for Lane Sharing then the Cyclist/MB'er is allowed to use the entire lane. Therefore, the safest place for a cyclist/MB'er is in the center of the lane. This causes motorists to have to change lanes to pass; just like they'd have to do with any other slow moving vehicle. When cyclist/MB'ers ride to the far right on narrow lanes it encourages motorists to do squeeze bys when passing. By not understanding the Far Right law and using Lane Control is the biggest cause for side swipes. In my LandRider video about mid way you'll see an example of the effects of Lane Control.

Lane Splitting allows cyclist under certain conditions to ride between vehicles to the front of traffic stopped at a red light. Lane Splitting is legal in only a few states in the USA.

Last edited:

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
With Sick Bike Parts Shutting down and soon only low grade shift kits will be available; are gas shifters doomed for extinction? Unless something changes, future shifters will have to buy the low grade shift kits and upgrade them.
Contact https://www.whiteind.com/ They made the H/D freewheel for Sick Bike Parts

Maybe they will still offer it for M/B builders if asked.

Reactions: Greg58 and fasteddy